help with gallons

deejeff442

i am maybe half way done building my house. i am going to put a big fire place in one corner with stone. on the other side i kinda want the tank to match with the stone. so i talked to my fish supplier who also has a guy who builds tanks. i want to do a corner tank to match the fire place. .
the tank will be 30 inches tall. taking a guess i would say its around 350 gallons. i cut the back out and i am thinking animal bean overflow.anyone take a guess of the gallons?

snakeblitz33

Awe. Thats too easy.
All you have to do is find the area of the outside triangles and subtract them from the full rectangle.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395499/help-with-gallons#post_3521263
Awe. Thats too easy.
All you have to do is find the area of the outside triangles and subtract them from the full rectangle.
Good luck with that LOL
Actually you have two trapsoids. Which is the reason I drew up the tank then I could get the heights for the trapsoids.
Also as a check I later took the dimensions of the over width which was 85.1". Which is a pretty close double check.
bottom trapziod is base1=60" base 2=85" h=12.09
top trapziod is base1=38" base2=85" h=23.1
area of trapzoid =h*(b1+b2)/2 (average of bases)*height
12.9*(85+12.9)/2=935.25in^2
23.1*(85+38)/2=1420.65in^2
_________sum_2355.9 in^2
tank height____*30
tank vol______70677 in^3
231 in^/gal__/231
tank volum__305.96 gallons
close enough to 300. LOL
my .02

snakeblitz33

GeriDoc is very, very close.
I made the whole thing into a rectangle and got the original area (Not volume just yet, that would make it harder) and I found out that the two large triangles are right angle triangles - of which the two sides are both 23.5 with an area of 276.125 square inches. The two smaller triangles are right angle triangles with an area of 78.125 square inches. So, If you subtract all of the triangles you get a total area of 2351.5 square inches. That's the area... now find volume by multiplying by 30 (height) and then dividing the whole thing by 231 (this is how you find gallons... 231).
You're looking at approximately 305.39 gallons, plus or minus one. Also, this figure only works if your talking about the inside measurement, not the outside measurement.

deejeff442

well thanks nerds. i might make it 6 inches longer on the 33 inch side ,have to see if i can move my window over..

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395499/help-with-gallons#post_3521276
GeriDoc is very, very close.
I made the whole thing into a rectangle and got the original area (Not volume just yet, that would make it harder) and I found out that the two large triangles are right angle triangles - of which the two sides are both 23.5 with an area of 276.125 square inches. The two smaller triangles are right angle triangles with an area of 78.125 square inches. So, If you subtract all of the triangles you get a total area of 2351.5 square inches. That's the area... now find volume by multiplying by 30 (height) and then dividing the whole thing by 231 (this is how you find gallons... 231).
You're looking at approximately 305.39 gallons, plus or minus one. Also, this figure only works if your talking about the inside measurement, not the outside measurement.
Dern
there goes your reputation Snake.
the same exact answer to 4 dights and only 1 digit off on the 5th.
Does that mean you agree with beaslbob?
and a general LOL

deejeff442

i looked at where the tank is going and i think i am going to stick with this drawing. its 5 foot to the back corner ,the fire place is a bit over 4 foot .i want them to be close to size.anyway 300 gallons is plenty. unless someone here has an idea for a different corner shape. it cant be more than 3 foot at any point to fit throught the front door. the door is 39 inches wide. i dont want to build the house around it.