Help with teenager

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by bnutz244
http:///forum/post/2845125
I had this issue a few years back my son is now 16 and the perfect angel
wants the keys now but I found that yelling and screaming just made me horse so hit em where they want to be I made an honest arrangement with my son I would pay him weekly for his grades as if it was a job I can track his grades online. so it basically went like this A=$10, B=$8, C=$5, D and F= $0 so with 6 classes he had the ability to make up to $60 a week. Also to back this all I bought were necessities, nike wnt out the window and hello pro-wings, got the old B/W tv out the garage and put it in his room, phone poof, etc. left the video games that is motivating because they always want new games and for him it was music so the stereo I bought went in my daughters room. So until he got it right he had to clothe and entertain himself on his dime not mine now it is just a regular ritual he comes to me now 3 years later and ask did you see my grades (we stopped the payment treatment about 6 months ago) he now does it for himself
just my two pennies
Speaking of pennies i forgot to call you back

teresaq

Oh, I have one of these creaters.
he is 13. last yr we had to enroll him in after school so he could learn to organize and complete homework. This yr he started out great, but went down hill and I think a visit to the guidance counsler has opened his Eyes. We will see. If that didnt work then the computer and Ipod are gone until he brings up the grades.
T

reefreak29

you know what , reading that described how I was when I was a teen, I had only a few friends ,hated school,blah blah blah...I ended up droping out at 16 got a ghd , got a degree and make 6 figures. im sure all will work out.

maryg

This is like dejavu! My son will be 13 in a few weeks. He is in the 7th grade. He has the same issues. He does work but does not turn them in and lacks organization. He is in ESE classes. He does struggle alot and needs more one on one. We took away the computer and video games. He earns them back when he complies with his school work. My husband and I had a meeting with his counselor, teachers, my son, and us. It does help some. He also had some vision problems. I though he was just using it as an excuse. He has improved once he got his eyes checked and got glasses. I don't ever think he will ever be organized.

t316

Good thoughts folks, thanks for the help.
Scott, our school does have a website but very few of the teachers actually keep it up to date. Even when they do, it only shows the assignment, not if it was completed or the grade. We have to ask him daily to pull out his folder and go thru every class, but even still, he's not telling us everything. I supposed I could have him checked out to see if something is wrong with his memory or attention, but I think it's selective memory.
He's really in one of these stages of being laid back and cool. He is passive, somewhat lazy, and no, he does not appreciate what he has. School & grades are at the bottom of his priority list and I agree with whoever made mention that taking things away at this point is useless. I don't really want to reward him by giving it all back, but I'm sure life sucks in his mind with nothing to do around here. He has outside of the house activities, but when he's at home, it's boredom.
Update: Progress reports came out today, so he gets in the car, I look at all of them (other two have straight A's & B's), look at his....A, B, B, D, D, F. By the way, the A was in P.E. So things actually declined slightly. But instead of going thru the usual all the way home, I sat it down, changed the subject, and he talked like nothing ever happened. It was good to have some decent/normal conversation for once in a long time, but the problem is still there.

alyssia

I have the exact same problem with my 11 year old son. We check all his
assignments online every night, make sure he does them, check the grade the next day, and lo and behold, half the time the assignments are listed as missing....he always has the same excuses as your son "I forgot it in my locker" or "I can't turn it in now, it's late" (not true). We take away ALL his priviliges (sp) friends, phone, TV, computer, Ipod, this usually works for awhile and then he starts to backslide a bit and it's back to the same ole, same ole. But like RU said, kids are gonna do what they're gonna do.

snakeblitz33

Well, I think almost every kid goes through that sort of thing. I wasn't part of the "cool or 'in' crowd" but I was also defiant. It's not that I didn't turn in my homework after doing it... I made fun of my teachers stupidity... got me in a lot of trouble.

reefraff

Pulling privileges is a great way of dissuading bad behavior as far as getting in trouble.
If you give the kid allowance make school his job. He has to do homework assignments and turn them in just to make base pay each week. Each and every grade below a C knocks a percentage off base pay until the next report card. Each B adds to base pay and A's earn a bonus at report card IF there are no grades below a C.
Our kid had/has a test phobia we have never been able to get past. He just freezes up.

nw2salt08

My husband and I have the same problem. My stepson is 13....hmmm, seeing a pattern here....maybe it's the puberty thing messing them up??
lol My husband has told him it's up to him to buckle down and do it. If he doesn't he'll just fail and do it over again. We've gone through the same things everyone else has...taking stuff away, getting upset (not yelling but clear facial expressions), talking to him, etc......nothing. Haven't seen his report card yet but it'll be here before Christmas break lets out.....we'll see how he does. He has plenty of activities to do around here and we encourage outdoor exercise. All I can say is I hope that they'll wake up and say "Hey....I want to try." We're here if they need us and we'll help them in every way we can.

t316

Well, just so all of you know, there is some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one dealing with this.
I know puberty and this age has a lot to do with it, and I was a hellraiser when I was young, but as a parent..., well, I don't like this part of being a parent...

alyssia

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2845664
Well, just so all of you know, there is some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one dealing with this.
I know puberty and this age has a lot to do with it, and I was a hellraiser when I was young, but as a parent..., well, I don't like this part of being a parent...

scotts

Hey D, I just wanted to throw out the idea of the psychiatrist for your information. Just to kind of take the stigma off of it. We had problems with our daughter writing down her assignments and then doing them. Many fights and she spent a lot of time in "time out"
What I would recommend you do is talk to the teachers and see if you can get the assignments. Maybe they could e-mail them to you on Monday so you have them for the week. Then make sure he does the homework. I have to sit at the table while my son does his homework. With my daughter I just have to be in the area while she does her homework, if I sit at the table with her she will not stop talking. Now here is the part that will really motivate him. Tell him that you will go to his school, During school, to talk to his teachers to see if he turned in his work. You may have to go to the school once or twice, but I think twice should be enough motivation for him. Especially if you wear some really yucky clothes to completely embarass him in front of his classmates.

mboswell1982

well, i do know this, u cant do what my dad did to me when i was that age, and that was knock me out, after that, he had no more problems outta me, i straightened up reallllll quick and started acting right after that night LOL and it only took one shot, he's a former bouncer/gold gloves boxer when he was 18 LOL and he's now a retired trucker, 32 years on the road, and had quad bypass surgery 5 years aago, now, this happened, him knocking me out, 13 years ago, and to this day, i will not even consider raising my fists to my dad in anger, i dont care how much money u offer me LOL
and if any of you think i hate my dad for that or what not, well, let me put it this way, my dad is gonna be my best man when me and my gf get married so that should tell u just how much i love my old man lol

t316

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2845747
Hey D, I just wanted to throw out the idea of the psychiatrist for your information. Just to kind of take the stigma off of it. We had problems with our daughter writing down her assignments and then doing them. Many fights and she spent a lot of time in "time out"
What I would recommend you do is talk to the teachers and see if you can get the assignments. Maybe they could e-mail them to you on Monday so you have them for the week. Then make sure he does the homework. I have to sit at the table while my son does his homework. With my daughter I just have to be in the area while she does her homework, if I sit at the table with her she will not stop talking. Now here is the part that will really motivate him. Tell him that you will go to his school, During school, to talk to his teachers to see if he turned in his work. You may have to go to the school once or twice, but I think twice should be enough motivation for him. Especially if you wear some really yucky clothes to completely embarass him in front of his classmates.

I have no stigma problems seeing a Dr. for an evaluation, and I have no problems if the result is some diagnosis. It is what it is if that's the case.
As far as the other suggestion, my wife and I have done that several times. Not necessarily in front of everyone, but before or after school, walked in and asked the teacher for the assignments. Most of the teachers are okay about it, but some of them, it's like pulling teeth. They want the kid to be responsible for everything (I think this is why they don't all keep the website updated).
I see it both ways: he should be responsible for writing down his assignments, completing them, and turning them in. But when he doesn't, if we don't monitor him and intervene, he gets a "0". So it's difficult to not treat him like a baby and monitor his every assignment and dig thru his book bag every night, yet it's frustrating to have to be doing this with a 13 yr. old, when there are two younger siblings that deserve equal attention.

scotts

I hear you D. The great conundrum of being a parent. For example last week my daughter said she was going to help out a teacher sell something after school. The day it was to happen she said she did not want to help out the teacher. So do I support my daughter and tell her it is OK, or tell her that she gave her word and her word is her bond? There are always 2 sides to everything raising a kid.
Did you notice I said I have to sit with my son and not sit with my daughter? They CANNOT do their homework at the same time. In fact they can hardly be in the same room at the same time. I have to spend time with one kid, then spend time with the other kid. So I know where you are coming from when you say "spending equal time" with the other kids.
You know what they say, Teenagers are God's revenge for having s_x.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2845014
Help... So I have a 13 year old son who is having a lot of difficulty with school and the overall ability to reason (that's putting it mildly). It's not the work, because he get's it. He has the ability to make straight A's and B's, he just chooses not to. He has always been a little introverted and hangs out with a small group of friends. We have always had challenges getting him to do his school work, but we have reached a new level of cluelessness that is about to give me an aneurysm.
He is basically failing two classes, English and History. The main reason is because he is not turning in his class work or homework. He's completing it, but not turning it in. Why? He always has some off the wall answer like, "I forgot" or "it was late so I figured she wouldn't accept it by then". We have had conferences with the teachers recently, and they comment on how 'capable' he is, but he just isn't applying himself. We have taken away his computer, iPod, TV, letting him know how he can earn them all back. There's nothing else to take away. Football season is over, otherwise I'd pull him from the team.
So now, not two weeks after having met with the teachers and getting back on track, I get an email from a teacher advising that he has accumulated another batch of 0's on homework and classwork that has not been turned in.
I also recently find out, from another source, that he has a big group project due next week (ahhhh, when were you going to tell me this?). So we rush to set up for his two buddies to come spend the night this upcoming weekend to work on the group project, only to find out that one of his buddies can't come now due to getting in trouble yesterday for setting off stink bombs in the hallway....
Faculty thought it was something malfunctioning with the air unit and called in a bunch of pro's (of course my son was right there in the thick of it...but not the one that did it, so he's not in trouble).
I mean seriously, something is missing here. We love him, have faith in him, and know that he can do it, but it's like I need to hook up jumper cables and my truck battery to the neurons in his brain to get some activity. We have questioned whether to just hold him back, maybe he's just not mature enough for the 8th grade. My wife is constantly having to monitor his work every night, and we have two other kids that need time/help too, but our 13 yr. old is draining it all.
I would love any insight or recommendations here. I don't know what else to do. Should I hold him back and hope that the embarrassment will make him wake up? Just ride it out and hope for the best? Do we give him everything back and give him just enough rope to hang himself and earn his way back to the 8th grade? Maybe lock him in a room and make him read cowfishrule threads all day...
Am I overreacting? I don't think I am because if we do nothing, he fails, and my other two kids would think that it's okay.

It's called being a hormone-raging 13 year old. After reading your first paragraph, I could insert my 13 year old daughter in his place and post the identical thread. Honestly I think it has to do with his intelligence level. My older daughter did the same thing when she was in middle school. She's now a junior in high school and is doing fine. All you can do is continue to give him encouragement, and advise him that what he does in middle school will affect what classes he can take in high school. If he wants to take Honors and AP courses in high school, he has to have A's and B's in middle school, otherwise they won't allow him to take those classes. Sooner or later he will 'get it'.

mboswell1982

but i guess thats what happens when u comefrom the deep south from a family thats been there for a couple hundred years LOL

premilove

i am 19 right now and i was the same exact way he was, at an ealier age tho..
it started when i was 12...i didnt listen, i didnt do my work i didnt do squat..time went by, rents told me they are going to stop paying for all my "wants". My dad told me that he would reward me for every good grade i bring home, and take away for every bad grade i bring home. 50 for an A, 20 for a B. 5 dollars back for a C, 40 dollars back for a D, 100 back for a F. Right after the first F, man did i get A's or what. Next thing you know it my dad started writing me IOU's. After seeing all the money i could have made earlier, i got a job at my uncles store and started saving ALOT of money. I always had all the new consumer goods that were out. PS1, PS2, gameboy color, etc..always had nice clothes, it was great. Soon highschool came, got into all AP classes, graduated with a 3.7, got a scholarship to RU and here i am working at TD bank and taking 15 credits at RU. I pay for the remainder of my tuition, and all my "wants". only thing rents pay for is car insurance. My mom got out of

[hr]
cancer, so she stopped working. I started helping out the family, buying groceries and what not. I did what ever it took to put a smile on my moms face. I thank them everyday for doing what they did - -rewarding my good grades..it changed my life around!
My cousin started doing the same recently. My uncle took him to a jail cell Middlesex County Jail, and told him if you dont start changing ur ways, do not be surprised if you are back here in 5 years. Man that scared the ---- out of him. that dude studies 1 - 2 hours a day and has to be one of the smartest kids in my family. His brother is a genius, so my uncle bought him a nice car. '03 BMW 330 ci. My uncle told his younger son(the one that was acting up), "The car you are going to get depends on your grades. If you give me A's you will get any car you want. If you give me bad grades, dont be surprised if you get a minivan, and that is even if i decide to give you a car."
If your son is into cars try to get him on something like that. Bribery works man lol. good luck!