help with xenia

P

phishface

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any answers or advice or both.
I know what to feed, but Im not sure how often. I know you gotta stop mechanical and skimming for at least an hour. I got it as a fathers day gift, but wasnt ready or expecting such a gift. Im running at:
sal 1.025
temp 78
ph 8.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrate 0.0
I have it about 8" from surface in a decent amount of flow. I have it under 2 10k and 2 true 03 blues t-5's. Any suggestions?

coraljunky

I have mine in the sand with good flow, its happy. Xenia are extremely hardy and easy to care for. Do you have other filter feeders?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by phishface
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any answers or advice or both.
I know what to feed, but Im not sure how often. I know you gotta stop mechanical and skimming for at least an hour. I got it as a fathers day gift, but wasnt ready or expecting such a gift. Im running at:
sal 1.025
temp 78
ph 8.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrate 0.0
I have it about 8" from surface in a decent amount of flow. I have it under 2 10k and 2 true 03 blues t-5's. Any suggestions?
I know it sound kind of ironic, but xenia really like some nitrates and also you might have to dose once in a while with some iodine.

P

phishface

I read that they dont like the trates and need ph =8.3?? But I dont know. Thats why Im here.

P

phishface

So, my question was how often do I feed? But, Im reading they dont need to be fed they eat through photosynthesis? Is this correct?

marka1620

I feed mine with marine snow about once a week and do a 15-20% water change about every 3-4 weeks. I also dose with Kent's essential elements about once a week (half recommended dose).
I have had my Xenias about a month and a half and they have nearly tripled. I also have mine in medium to high flow and about 8 inches under T-5's.
You probably don't even need to feed them as stated if you are up on your water changes. They are very hardy....much success to you

jmick

I have had xenia for years and IMO, they do not need to be fed. They seem to thrive in water with some nutrients and decent lighting. Also, I would not add any iodine to your tank, unless this is something you can test for. Regular water changes will replenish trace elements. If you want them to spread at a fairly fast rate tip the rock they are on, they tend to move upwards and leave bits behind and spread like crazy!

thud

No worries.
Xenia pulse the best at a higher alkalinity level. Some say they do best with a heavy bioload in the tank. Quick changes in pH will kill it (it'll hurt most everything else as well im sure)
Xenia will take over your tank within two months.