Home Made Food

ktsdad

So one day we are wondering thru our local supermarket and as we pass by the butcher counter, we notice they have some fresh seafood mix. The butcher tells me it has octopus, mussles, clams, oysters and shrimp. I asked if it was cooked and was told NO, it was all raw. I got excited and bought all they had (2 pounds - 3.49 per).
We went home and got out the blender. Put in the "mix", some algea strips, some frozen mysis and bloodworms and some fresh RO water. This amount made enough to fill 5 quart size bags (about 1/4 inch thick).
We have been feeding this to our fish for about the last month or so and they absolutly love it!
This last weekend we were once again walking thru out local supermarket and saw frozen bags of the same seafood mix. We asked the butcher if this is the same stuff they had in the fresh seafood case a few months ago and was told yes. Now they keep it frozen so it doesn't spoil before it is sold. In small lettering on the back of the bag it say the meat is COOKED!
It appears we have been feeding our fish COOKED seafood mush!
They don't seem to mind hope it doesn't hurt the fish!

uberlink

I think I read in one of my aquarium books that cooked seafood is a good idea, actually, because the cooking takes care of any harmful bacteria, etc that might otherwise be in there. I don't think it would hurt them, as long as it wasn't cooked in oil or something.

ktsdad

Thats good to hear!

Our fish all have real good color and are very active so we didn't think it was hurting them.
The package said it was blanched. If I remember my high school cooking class correctly, that means they were cooked briefly in hot water. So all should be good!
Thanks for the input!

1journeyman

Cooking can relieve the seafood of some of it's vitamins.
You can make your own fairly cheaply. Just buy the individual ingredients fresh. Also, you could always buy a liquid vitamin and add it to your food as you are freezing it.

ktsdad

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
You can make your own fairly cheaply. Just buy the individual ingredients fresh.
That is what I thought I did.
Guess the butcher didn't know what he was doing!
My wife and I have been talking about thawing what we have left (about 3 months worth) and adding some fresh RAW stuff and some liquid garlic (forgot to add when I first blended) then refreezing.
Thanks for the reply!