Homeowner's

jaodissa

I have insurance for my dogs if we need to have anything done a portion is covered. For example getting my dogs teeth cleaned can cost 600+ for each dog. With insurance we are only paying 100 of that. Some years it's more costly to have the dogs insured but other years when something big happens it's a life saver.

meowzer

HMM...I have heard of medical insurance for pets, but I never really considered it....I can't imagine a dog/cat needing a %50,000 surgery

I have had some emergency's before, but never anything that put me in debt
Is it up to the vet (like medical for people) on whether or not they will accept it or not? I bet in small towns (like mine) the vet wouldn't take it

L

lilredwuck

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3215793
HMM...I have heard of medical insurance for pets, but I never really considered it....I can't imagine a dog/cat needing a %50,000 surgery

Depends on how bad they want their dog in that particular time and severity of the problem. Last time I had insurance BCBS I was covered up to $6 million dollars/year in medical expenses. So $50k doesn't strike me as that large of a number, in the medical field anyway.

scsinet

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3215793

I have had some emergency's before, but never anything that put me in debt
Is it up to the vet (like medical for people) on whether or not they will accept it or not? I bet in small towns (like mine) the vet wouldn't take it
Well without going into too much detail, I once had to shell out five figures for multiple surgeries when we had a pet emergency. After that, I set up medical insurance.
My dog is 5 years old, and the premium is $44 per month. That premium, besides emergency care, covers all preventative care, including vet visits, shots, and preventative meds (heartgard, frontline). When you consider that I spend $400 a year for vet visits and preventative meds, it's not a bad deal - it comes out to $34 a month, so the insurance is only $10/mo over and above what I paid previously. Granted as the dog gets older the premiums will go up. Part of that is also a cancer rider that covers everything cancer related... even chemo.
The thing is that nowadays there are about as many treatment options for dogs and cats as there are for humans... and as the level of care goes up, so does the cost of care. To me, $44 (or even more) a month is a small price to pay for preventative care, plus the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong, I can do what's best for the dog and for us, and not have to worry about what I can afford. Money doesn't have to be a factor anymore.
The vet has nothing to do with medical insurance. They have a payment schedule of usual and customary amounts. When you go to the vet, you pay out of pocket. You fax the receipts and a claim form into them, and they reimburse you based on their payment schedule.
I use VPI. www.petinsurance.com

L

lilredwuck

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3215803
The thing is that nowadays there are about as many treatment options for dogs and cats as there are for humans... and as the level of care goes up, so does the cost of care.
More advanced testing machines/cutting edge specialized equipment isn't cheap. If there is a market for it, and the technology is there, someone will make it.

t316

I can assure you, if my pet's Doc tells me he needs a $50,000 surgery, I will immediately be preparing the kids for a makeshift funeral in the backyard....I'll even say a few words, just to comfort the kiddos....

There ain't no way in hell I'd pay 50K, nor would you people without this pet insurance, I don't care what you say here.

meowzer

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3215913
I can assure you, if my pet's Doc tells me he needs a $50,000 surgery, I will immediately be preparing the kids for a makeshift funeral in the backyard....I'll even say a few words, just to comfort the kiddos....

There ain't no way in hell I'd pay 50K, nor would you people without this pet insurance, I don't care what you say here.
LOL...Maybe not for my dogs, but I would try my best for my Meowzer

I told my husband I want to have him cloned

(the cat...not the husband)

p.s. this really should be in the aquarium

btldreef

If you have a pet, VPI is well worth it

One $2,000 bill for 45 minutes worth of work on Rocky was enough to convince me!