How big of a water change

sepulatian

Originally Posted by briandg
I purchased the tank already, it was a good deal regardless of the fish, but she is including them. I am not able to pick up the tank for about 4 weeks because we are changing carpet before setting it up. So she still has it. I forgot to mention, she even has an anenome in it. I know it sounds bad, but it was a good deal. I just need to figure out how to get the conditions at least liveable, then I will work on making them good. I have a 55 and planned on moving her more aggressive fish like the tang to my 55 and moving some of mine over to hers and slowly reintroducing hers. But that was before I took a sample of water home and tested it. That's why I was wondering if a 75% water change would be possible without causing a crash. I need to get the trates down to a liveable condition before adding anything, especially the fish that I've carefully raised the past year. I would love to get the coral out immediately, but she is doing me a favor by keeping the tank until I get carpet, and I doubt she will be willing to do much to improve the conditions during this time. The other option I thought of, is taking all of her fish to a pet store for either store credit or if they won't do this, just give them to the store. Then I could set the tank up at my house, change out the cc to sand. Leave my tank as is, and after I get hers to acceptable levels make the change.
I really liked the tang and hoped on keeping it, but I think this might be the best alternative.
I forgot to add, she also has an anenome. She must have some tough corals and fish to still be alive.
I have better idea. Buy a large rubbermaid tub. In the mean time, get a sponge filter (it hooks up to a regular fresh water air pump) put it into your tank/sup for about 3-4 days. It will gather bacteria. Use as much of your equipment that you can spare in this tub to provide alot of biological filtration, use your rocks too, maybe a few scoops of sand. Put the fish from the 180 and whatever else is still alive in there into the tub. Use display tank water. This creates an instant environment for them. Make sure there is a heater and keep this tank stable. You can even put the lights from the 180 over this tub to give the anemone enough light. You can have this tub anywhere in the house that it needs to be in before you bring the 180 home. Just be sure to properly acclimate them into the clean environment. It will take longer because they are not used to it so clean. (I mean that, you will have to take like 4-5hrs for them to get used to the clean)

sepulatian

How long should I keep them in the tub, I don't know how quickly I can get the trates down in the 180.
If you get everything out then you can do a 90% water change. While you are doing a change anyway, stir that damn CC bed up first, after you get the animals out!! Vacume the heck out of it!!!! If they have to stay there for another month, then acclimate them out, let them stay in the tub. Fill the tank back up and let it settle. Check the conditions. You may rather just leave these animals in the tub for a month. Dump the CC in the 180. You can hang the light over the tub. You can even use stuff from their old tank for biological filtration, just not the CC. Use the old filter if you are going to let the tank run empty anyway. Let me know how this goes!!!!

lazypinoy

i kno a lot of people are against chemicals but if u find a lfs wih az-no3 then u should try it. my older brother wen t on vacation for 3 months and left his tank with a puffer, lion and a half black angel. his test came out blood shot red. (api test) for about 3 weeks we dosed az no3 and the trates were gone. after that we stoped using it and began water changes. either way. good luck!

briandg

I will definitely keep you posted. It looks like I have a chore ahead of me. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do as far as lighting as the lights are mounted in the canopy, but I'll figure something out. It sucks that they are in this condition, but hopefully I can get everything straightened out. I'm sure I'll be posting many questions as I am still relatively new at this and I'll definitely need everyone's help. Thanks again for the advice. I like the idea of the tub much better than overstocking my current tank. I will still need to get rid of a few of her fish, I don't want damsels in my tank and she has a huge maroon clown, that I don't think would appreciate my percs. Also, I forgot to mention she has a dwarf angel, and I'm not sure I want to keep it with my coral beauty which is much smaller. Although people have told me on this thread that they should be fine together in a 180, I'm still not too sure. Again thanks for the advice, and I'll keep you posted.

briandg

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
i kno a lot of people are against chemicals but if u find a lfs wih az-no3 then u should try it. my older brother wen t on vacation for 3 months and left his tank with a puffer, lion and a half black angel. his test came out blood shot red. (api test) for about 3 weeks we dosed az no3 and the trates were gone. after that we stoped using it and began water changes. either way. good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion, but couldn't I get the trates down by jsut doing water changes within three weeks. I'm not arguing with the suggestion, just a question.
Thanks.

nel621

Why don't you just go over to the person you bought the tank from and explain to them that you need to match the conditions in their tank to your tank so nothing dies.then ask if you can come over a couple of times to do some water changes.Don't tell them their water sucks just say you need to change out some water a little at a time to match yours.Explain it could take a couple of visits and you want to start now so in 3 weeks everything will be ready for the move.tell them you will do all the work,clean up afterwards and emphasize that you want their fish to live when you move them.Perhaps they will let you come over.

briandg

Great idea. Unfortunately they live about 3 hours away. With my work schedule and family, this will be very difficult.

X

xnikki118x

Great idea. Unfortunately they live about 3 hours away. With my work schedule and family, this will be very difficult.
Very tough situation. I'd probably just get all her livestock out andinto a rubbermaid tub at your place. When you can get her tank next month or whatever, empty the whole thing, rinse it well, and start again with everything from your 55 plus some premixed saltwater.

petjunkie

If the tank has a good protein skimmer, maybe look into sugar dosing to get rid of the nitrates. There's a lot of info on it if you search around, it's a little risky without good water movement though but maybe an idea if you remove all the fish first.

debdeb

I'm not sure I understand why you are worried about getting the 'trates down when you will have to drain the tank to move it anyway. I would just go with the tub idea, completely drain out the 180 and clean it with vinegar and start all fresh. I may be missing something here so let me know if I am. Good luck, I'm in the process of setting up a used 180 system I bought a couple months ago. The owner had already drained it and cleaned it out so it was real easy to move. I'm making the jump from a 37g so I'm interested in anyone elses experiences and advice. Show us some pictures when you get it going!

briandg

I'm not too worried now since I am going to use a tub. My original thought was use as much of her water as possible, but that changed. What I was worried about was if changing out the water and changing out the cc will cause a cycle, or if her live rock, equip. etc will help avoid a cycle. I really don't like the idea of her fish living in a tub for a complete recycle like when setting up a new tank.
Thanks

debdeb

I understand what you are saying now. It probably is going to depend on how well you can transport everything. If you can keep the rock wet through the trip it should be fine.

briandg

I'm planning on using her water to keep the live rock completely sugmerged for the trip instead of wrapping it in wet paper. I want to try and keep it as alive as possible for the trip.
I think I'll set it up, monitor it for about a week, if a cycle starts sell of her fish or take them to a lfs, if no cycle, slowly start introducing the fish to the tank again.