How do I move a mushroom, or can I?

cyn

When I was cleaning out my tank and changing from CC to DSB, I discovered a mushroom. The little guy is about 1.5 inches across but it is on the underside of a piece of LR. By underside, I mean the side that is not covered by coraline. I never knew untill now that it was there. Is there a way to detach it and put it on the other side? Or should I just place the rock back the way it was with the shroom on the underside? Or even leave it ugly side up for the sake of the little guy? I realize that the alge will re grow, I am just looking for your input here on what is best for the mushroom.
Thanks in advance for your help..

treble

I would turn the rock over, and not risk loosing the little shroom. My friend took some shrooms right off a rock, and they would no longer re-attach to any other rocks, they eventually floated into his filter, and were never seen again :( .

cyn

That is what I was thinking. I don't want to loose the little fella! I guess I will just wait for the coraline to spread :).
Thanks, cyn

bubbatrev

If I may be of help. I had a little shroom come loose. I went to my lfs and purchased some marine safe epoxy. Its really cool stuff, kind of a two part playdo thing you kneed together. I have used if to hold live rocks together, as well as starting new colonies of corals on other rocks. The epoxy gives the coral time to grow (and grab hold). Hope this helps...

cyn

I have heard of the stuff, but the shroom is still attached firmly to the rock. He is just on the ugly side of the rock. I have decided to just wait for the coraline to grow on the side he is on rather than trying to move him. Thanks for the replies.

predator

I'v got several colonies of shrooms.And 3 of them are big.Not just in numbers but in size.I'v snatched a few off the rock and let them float.They always pop up some where.Now I'v got more colonies than I want.I trade them off to friends and my lfs for frags and credits.