how do you frag Xenia

teen

put another rock right next to it and it will spread over. then just cut the middle with a razor blade and its fragged. takes a day or two usually for the xenia to move over.

hefner413

my xenia was a small pod on a rock at first. It then grew all over the rock. I just took the rock out and put it in a bucket. Then I took a hammer and

[hr]
driver and just broke the rock all up. I then spread the pieces out on a larger rock in the tank. Now the larger rock is covered. The stuff grows quite quickly!

littlebuck

Yes take small flat rocks and stick it right on the side of the actual colony. i use to take shells and almost stick it in the peice but they will spread in a few days.

maxalmon

Weird little experiment that I performed, took a single stalk of xenia, that was attached to a chunk of LR placed this in my bio-cube and then left the lights off for 4 days. The xenia shrivelled up and wilted and was kinda laying on it's side, then I turned the lights back on and then it did the whole wilting and spreading thing (if you've seen this you'll know what I mean) and turned into 6 tiny frags

hefner413

heh, yeah, same has happened to me also - whenever one "wilts" like you said, it's neat to look forward to a few new frags - always happens!

t316

Originally Posted by Littlebuck
Yes take small flat rocks and stick it right on the side of the actual colony. i use to take shells and almost stick it in the peice but they will spread in a few days.
where do you get those little flat, round rocks?

t316

can you just take a rock out of the yard and clean it up? I know some types of rock have metals in them...

hefner413

yeah, exactly - never know what's in them. I've heard of some people actually using limestone, but I wouldn't risk it. You never know what might leach out over time.

teen

just use some LR rubble. buy a piece of base rock or live rock and bash it up with a hammer.

t316

Right now I have about 3 pieces of rock from my yard, but I don't know if this is good. I tried rubble from the tank but it wasn't enough weight and was blowing all over the tank.

bang guy

Originally Posted by T316
Right now I have about 3 pieces of rock from my yard, but I don't know if this is good. I tried rubble from the tank but it wasn't enough weight and was blowing all over the tank.
Please don't use the rock from your yard. There is a very good chance that it has been exposed to pesticides.

hefner413

Originally Posted by T316
Rubble is more like small pieces of LR - at least smaller than pebble size - shouldn't blow around. I took a 10 lb rock and broke it into about 10 smaller pieces. I have over 2000 gph in my 55gal, and the rock didn't move at all.
If you still have the rock from your yard in the tank, I would remove it. Better safe than sorry.

t316

These small flat rocks have been in there for 2 or 3 wks. Param's haven't changed. Shouldn't have said "yard", more like woods, so I'm not as worried about pesticides as I am metals found in "non-ocean" rocks. I'll get rid of it.

fishy7

I drop rubble rocks in the middle of the colony and a few days later I am ready to harvest. I supply 2 LFS with pom pom weekly and could easily supply 3-4 shops if i added more rocks.