how do you take out unwanted zoas?

bill109

hey everyone.
i have a rock or 2 in my tank that has some zoas that i no longer care for in my tank.
how do i get rid' of them?
its a show piece of rock and its kind of in the middle of a stack of rock.
any ideas or tips here?
they are brown and need to go.
any help?
thanks in advance..
-bill

teresaq

you can try lifting the mat and peeling them off. Attach them to something and trade them to your lfs
T

spanko

I have read about some that have tried to frag their zoas in the display and have had terrible problems with something the zoas released into the water.
Just sayin...........be careful here.

flower

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3102975
I have read about some that have tried to frag their zoas in the display and have had terrible problems with something the zoas released into the water.
Just sayin...........be careful here.
+1 and wear gloves.

bill109

my lfs wont take in any coral trades. they say the summer is slow for them. hey are brown and i really dont like them. i dont want to chisel them. if i try and cut them from the rock. like scraping he matt off the rock, will it release bad toxins into the water?
thanks...
-bill

scsinet

Any of the methods recommended for killing aptasia should take care of zoas.
I'd try a syringe filled with kalkwasser. Don't do too many at a time, run carbon, and make sure your skimmer is tip top so as not to disrupt your water quality.

bill109

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3104355
Any of the methods recommended for killing aptasia should take care of zoas.
I'd try a syringe filled with kalkwasser. Don't do too many at a time, run carbon, and make sure your skimmer is tip top so as not to disrupt your water quality.
if i were to scrape them off the best i can, and then just let the rock soak in waterchange water for a day would that take care of it?
if not, i will just do one of the above. i wasnt sure how toxic these toxins that are release into your tank really are.
thanks

anjiro

It depends on the zoas, I've been trying to find the thread, but with no luck. Somebody posted about how a guy was trying to frag his zoas and he accidentally cut himself, the toxins entered his blood stream and he consequently died.... Its been almost a year since I saw that thread but I'll keep looking...

npage

I have the same problem of a colony of zoas taking over a large rock.
Here's what I do. (assuming you have a sump) Take a long piece of tubing and start a siphon going from your display to your sump. Zip tie a filter sock or mesh bag to the end in your sump.
With a scalpel, carefully scrape off the zoas from the rock. Try to get a little under the rock to make sure you got the whole mat up. When the coral comes, free suck it up with the siphon. When you're done, empty out the bag.
I find it helpful to have a second person handling the siphon.
If you are worried about the toxins getting into the water, run a little carbon for a few days afterwards.

HTH