how fast do RO/DI filters produce water?

celbrise

just invested in an ro/di filter should be here by thursday/friday the problem is i only have a 55gal tank and it's 50gpd. not sure if i can store 50gpd as i don't have a container big enough and water containers tend to be costly. going to buy a trash can hopefully one that supports 40-60gallons with a lid. i will need some water to begin with for a 40% water change as i been using tap water and my aquarium is in need of a water change haven't done one in 2 weeks thought i'd wait for the filter to come in to do it instead of pouring more tap water in. after that water change i will only need water to top off every 2 days.

also what can i do with the run off water? my parents and grandparents are very anal about wasting water. we do have a garden but idk if it's safe for that.

bang guy

Even if it can make 50gpd doesn't mean you have to make 50gpd. Make what you need and shut it off.

The RO waste water is perfectly safe to use in the garden, washing machine, you could even drink it. I send mine to my swimming pool.