How long can anemone live????..........

broncofish

Well the marine Biologists at marin college who run the drakes bay museum in northern california have put a pretty precise number on it. Exact quote, "A Sea Anemone can live about 30 years, given no predetation or disease". I know we all casually toss around thousands or hundreds but 30 yrs is quite a bit lower, what do you all think?

j-cal

How did they determine age? I thought that people have used carbon dating of corals "around" anemones to determine how long they've been there? I'm not completely doubting that tactic since I find it reliable, but through my own observations of where anemones like to be, it seems that they like to be all surrounded by things. I often wondered if the coral didnt grow around the anemone, but rather the anemone fit itself into a "square" hole. Just my silly 2 cents :)

bang guy

My first thought is that this person must have had bad luck with Anemone.
My second thought is that I'm no Marine Biologist and I'm all ears if they want to explain in further detail.

broncofish

Yeah it does not give an exact credit, or research reference for it, it was in the museum at Drakes beach(Great tide pools all long that area north of SF Bay) We were out checking out the tide pools, realized I've never been in the museum, and figured I would check it out. They had a bunch of information on anemones, and a microscopic slide of a diatom, and a giant cold water anemone tank, that they had temporarily taken down because of chiller problems(apparently the anemones they had in it dated back at least 10yrs) But in the secetion about anemones they had these little fact sheets. How do Anemones eat? What do they eat? How long do they live? How can you --- an Anemone? All of which I knew the answer to except for How long do anemones live....when I saw 30 yrs...well I just don't believe it, I'm going to shoot them an e-mailand request where they get that number.

fshhub

I have to agree, I AM ALL EARS.
But, one thing about the previous dating adn biologists discoveries, first of all, an aged anemone has split(for reproduction) so part of it is alwasy going to be part of its parents grandparents and other generations. Just this fact alone should tell us that it can go on eternally.
Just like an ameoba. Even tho this one died, its off spring is still(partly) its great great great great grand father(and everyone in between). Unlike other life forms taht are actually born and die as a single unit.

T

thomas712

Does this study say whether it is under what circumstances? captive or natural?

broncofish

Originally posted by Thomas712
Does this study say whether it is under what circumstances? captive or natural?

I sent them an e-mail requesting where they got that info(study, research project etc...) and if it is in print somewhere.