How Many Fish can I have of each?

dewear

My 125 gallon tank is about ready for fish and I want to get some Hardy fish because it is a school tank and Money is a great concern. I personally love the Clownfish but understand that you can only keep one type in a tank. I did hear that you can introduce them at the same time with success. My question is how many of these types can you have in a 125 gallon tank. If anyone has idea on number of each or order I should add to the tank. I want to do this smart and not overload the Biological load and keep them happy.
Here is my wish list-
Black and White Percula Clown
Gold Stipe Maroon Clown
False Percula Clown
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
Coral Beauty or Flame Angelfish
Copperband Butterfly
Pearscale Butterfly
Foxface Rabbitfish
Humu Humu Trigger

btldreef

Reef or FOWLR, I'm going to assume the latter. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If so, I would stay away from triggers and butterflies.
Originally Posted by dewear
http:///forum/post/3227646
My 125 gallon tank is about ready for fish and I want to get some Hardy fish because it is a school tank and Money is a great concern. I personally love the Clownfish but understand that you can only keep one type in a tank. I did hear that you can introduce them at the same time with success. My question is how many of these types can you have in a 125 gallon tank. If anyone has idea on number of each or order I should add to the tank. I want to do this smart and not overload the Biological load and keep them happy.
Here is my wish list-
Black and White Percula Clown
Gold Stipe Maroon Clown Will eventually beat on your other clowns. Maroons are one of the most aggressive species of clowns.

False Percula Clown There is no such thing as a false percula, it's OCELLARIS and you can not keep a Percula an Ocellaris AND a Maroon, you're asking for a fight to the death.

Naso Tang It will eventually outgrow your tank. I have a 155 6' long and I know mine will eventually outgrow the tank. Naso's grow very large, they're one of the larger species of tangs.

Yellow Tang
Coral Beauty or Flame Angelfish You could even do both. They may fight for a few days, but they'll get over themselves. I have both and they're beautiful

Copperband Butterfly
Pearscale Butterfly
Foxface Rabbitfish
Humu Humu Trigger
I think your stocklist is a little heavy for a 125 to be completely honest with you. Think about replacing the Naso with a smaller tang like a Kole or Tomini (sometimes called Bristletooths) or even the Convict Tang.
2 clowns (of the same species)
1 or 2 dwarf angels (the Flame and the Coral Beauty work because they have different body types, they're both very hardy also)
1 Butterfly
1 Small Tang (Kole, Tomini, Yellow, Convict, Scopus)
1 Foxface
**You could do two tangs or two foxface or two butterflies, but then don't add the other larger fish. Ex: 2 Butterflies, no foxface or tang)
Goby? (a sand sifter if you're going to have a substrate bottom)
Blenny? (Midas blennies have a ton of character and add color)
done

mony97

+1 BTLD hit it pretty right on IMO, and I have a Midas Blenny and agreed very cool fish very fun to watch.

chrisb430

I would add some chromis maybe 5-6 maybe some Ocellaris Clownfish do will in schools. Something like an angel tangs yellow or sailfin. Hawkfish are cool but cant have any shrimp with them. Blennies are fun to watch. Wrasse get the reef safe ones if your going to have coral. Puffers are fun also again no coral or shrimp. Gobies are cheep and many different kinds to chose from. Firefish, Clown gobies, Neon gobies. I would stay away from Damsels they can be very mean towards other fish. hope this helps!!

srfisher17

A grown maroon clown, almost always becomes a female. She will not tolerate any other clown fish in her tank and will probably kill any clown introduced after she is established.. There are exceptions, but keeping more than one species of clown is usually trouble. I'd suggest you start with 2 juvi maroons and they should become a pair. Maroons,, especially the females, are very territorial, even aggressive fish.

dewear

I thank all those that have responded. I truly appreciate all the help. It will be a FOLWR tank. I would really like to have a trigger because I think they are cool and my thought was that when it got too big for our tank, then I would move it to a bigger tank. Also, What are your thoughts on when to introduce them to the tank? I have another 55 Gallon and 75 Gallon setup so I can try to purchase a larger order to avoid shipping charges. What are your thoughts?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Chrisb430
http:///forum/post/3227839
I would add some chromis maybe 5-6 maybe some Ocellaris Clownfish do will in schools. Something like an angel tangs yellow or sailfin. Hawkfish are cool but cant have any shrimp with them. Blennies are fun to watch. Wrasse get the reef safe ones if your going to have coral. Puffers are fun also again no coral or shrimp. Gobies are cheep and many different kinds to chose from. Firefish, Clown gobies, Neon gobies. I would stay away from Damsels they can be very mean towards other fish. hope this helps!!
I agree on Damsels they should be banned from the hobby. I'll bet there have been a dozen threads on this forum, just in the last 10 days, on how to get rid of damsels. Re: The Ocellaris Clowns: They will get alonf g as a group until they mature and pair up. Then, they will establish territory and defend it against all comers. They are not as nasty as Maroons and other large clowns, but more than one pair (IMO & IME) is usually a mistake (some exceptions in large tanks).