how many years in the sw hobby?

75bownut

7 years 3 months 2 days and counting, but who really keeps track??
All reef ! started with a 72 gallon bowfront and moved to a 120.

dragonboy

Hahaha... seems like the 5th year most people quit or ran out of money hehehe.. Or it just could be people just started right now.

75bownut

It does seem like there are good number of newcomers and then it kinda trickles down from there , but those who make it past 5 years tend to stay on for the long haul.

anonome

My first salwater tank was fish only. 55g with underground filter, and fake colored and looking coral. This was set up Labor day weekend of 1999. Got a leak in this tank, so only thing available real fast was a 46g bowfront. Had this tank for many years.
I have only been into reef tanks since Sept 1, 2005. I see a pattern here.....Labor Day weekend must mean time for a new tank.

I have learned a lot since those beginning days. Now my tank is truely "eye candy." Don't really regret the mistakes that I made. With mistakes one learns. (or so you hope)

teen

7 years. i started with a reef in 8th grade. im in my second year of college now.

J

jamparty

hi everyone, been a while...been busy with lots of stuff...haha
as for me...14 years...my dad started me young when I was 9...surprisingly I only dealt with freshwater for about 2 months...everything else has been salt all the way baby!

happy to report that I'm still learning new things every day...which to me is one of the most gratifiying aspects of the hobby (that and always having an empty wallet...I mean who wants to carry around a heavy wallet anyways?)

trippkid

Close to 23 yrs. sounds about right, have had SW tanks ever since started working mowing lawns and such, 12 years old when started now 35 this week. Still love the hobby just as much, if not more(I think it's more, I kind of know what I'm doing these days, not to much trial and error anymore).
Matt