How much lighting do I need?

kellenr

I had a saltwater tank for about 1.5yrs and had to tear it apart when I moved about a year ago. I'm starting my tank up again soon but it's much easier now that its all empty to get those 'upgrades' I wanted back in the day. First and foremost is I want to ditch my old canopy/hood and get a lighting unit that has leg-stands for the tank rim as opposed to a closed style lid. Before I had 2-65w PC's along with 2-18w regular fluorescents (166w total) and my tank is a 29gallon tall. I had a nice array of corals but didn't really have any stoneys or anything requiring tons of light. I could keep almost any softies with ease though.
I want to know if anyone has any ideas for what types/brands of lighting fixtures they know of that would be good for this. I think I might want to get a metal halide in the center with maybe 2 PC's or 2 T5's, I don't know. I just want more than enough light for things like anemones, softs and maybe some stoneys. I only wanna buy my deal once though so I want to be sure I have plenty of light for this tank. Thanks for your ideas!
29gal tall (30x18x12)
I'll need a 30" lighting unity with legs.

coastie5685

with legs is the expensive route.but try coralife they hav a 150wmh with 2 actinic tht can be suspended from ceiling . a mh with legs will heat water

andezzzy

Originally Posted by Coastie5685
http:///forum/post/3073815
with legs is the expensive route.but try coralife they hav a 150wmh with 2 actinic tht can be suspended from ceiling . a mh with legs will heat water
I have 2 (250w) mh over my 75g on legs and t5 actinic lighting. My water never goes above 81 degrees I have the heater set at 78. the bulb is about 8 1/2 in above the water. I live in pa in the summer I just have the ac on so no need for a chiller. They also have fans u can mount if needed

flower

I like my canopy because it keeps the light in the tank and not in my eyes when I sit down in the living room, where I have my tank...
For my 90g...
I purchased a 2 X 175 14K MH retro fit light (it came with 10K, I upgraded the bulbs for a, IMO better look, more blue). I had a friend (I am not handy at all) attach the light to the canopy. I can keep any coral I want, my light is inside the hood instead of all over the room, I also had two small ice cap fans installed in the hood as well to keep everything cool.
This works really good for me. I had PC lights before the MH as well.
Happy Reefing!

fau8

I wood go with the T5s less heat, can go under a canopy, will cost less to run, and will work for your needs. Only draw back is they will not give your the shimmer effect that Halides put off.