How often should shrimp moult?

rcbc3384

Hello
I purchased a Cleaner Shrimp and a Blood Shrimp about 3 weeks ago. So far the Blood Shrimp has moulted once and the Cleaner Shrimp has moulted twice. Is this normal? Oh and my Porcilin Crab has also moulted once in the same period.

alyssia

Originally Posted by rcbc3384
Hello
I purchased a Cleaner Shrimp and a Blood Shrimp about 3 weeks ago. So far the Blood Shrimp has moulted once and the Cleaner Shrimp has moulted twice. Is this normal? Oh and my Porcilin Crab has also moulted once in the same period.
They sometimes molt after being introduced into a new tank.

bonebrake

As Alyssia said, they often molt shortly after being added to your tank. My cleaner shrimp molts about every two weeks or twice a month.

bang guy

Part depends on their age. An adult Cleaner shrimp (Lysmata sp.) will typically only molt after releasing its larvae and that happens about every 4 weeks. If you have adult shrimp (full sized) and they are molting more often than every 4 weeks then they are being stressed by something. It could be a fish or it could be water quality or even a toxin like Iodine or copper.
If you have a small young Cleaner shrimp then they will molt a lot more often until they are full grown.

bang guy

Originally Posted by saltnewbee
ok, thanks.
does anyone know what cleaner wasses eat?
They eat the slime coating off of large fish along with any parasites on the fish. Avoid purchasing them in my opinion. Very few learn to eat anything other than fish slime and slowly starve.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
They eat the slime coating off of large fish along with any parasites on the fish. Avoid purchasing them in my opinion. Very few learn to eat anything other than fish slime and slowly starve.

I totally agree. Almost all cleaner wrasses die in captivity.