How stupid can people be???

gemmy

Yesterday, an older gentleman reversed his car into a tree in the parking lot where I work. He was reversing into a handicapped space, hit the gas too hard, hopped the curb and hit the tree. He said it was because the tree was curved. Ummm, did you not feel your caravan go over the curb? The impact caused his window to completely bust out and glass was strewn down a small embankment. Then, he said "so your business is paying for the damage, right? The tree was curved I couldn't see it."

I'll post pics of the tree tomorrow.

bubblegurl

I manage retail properties and in the last year, I've dealt with 4 separate incidents of people smashing into my buildings when parking, hit the gas instead of the brakes. One woman was in a 4x4 pickup up with a lift kit, hit the gas, over curb, up 3concrete steps and into the store. And every time they blame the building....idiots!

bang guy

Quote:
How stupid can people be???
Einstein answered this question back in the 1940's:
"The universe and human stupidity are infinite... eh... though, I am not so sure about the former..."

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/389266/how-stupid-can-people-be#post_3439361
I hope these folks didn't breed.
Its too easy of a process...... they most likely figured it out after 20 or so tries...
I know we had a guy in our town that was pulling into a parking spot on our towns main business street and hit the gas instead of the brake, jumped the curb and took down the wall to one side of the door of the restaurant and had the gall to ask for the business owners insurance cause its his fault he didn't have a better curb in front of the building. Its the typical size curb you see about everywhere and when the guy hit the building he set there spinning for long enough to bald the tire...... and then got out of the vehicle and left it in gear so it rolled backwards.

snakeblitz33

I hate it for you.
And fortunately, most idiots that deserve to be removed from the gene pool actually are. Anyone watch a thousand ways to die?

reefraff

Had a friend in high school who was rushing to 7 11 to get his paycheck cashed before they closed. He came barreling into the parking lot and his brakes went out. Actually he just didn't have time to pump them up enough to stop, had air in the lines. He went through the front of the store. Once they get his car pulled out of the building and the cops left he asks the owner of the store if he would cash his check.

michaeltx

we are finishing a million dollar remodel at the store I work at and the lobby area was closed for a couple weeks while they tore EVERYTHING out. during this time there is no seating no lights no nothing bare studs all over and NO DOORS or WINDOWS to boot. we turned around to a man and woman in the lobby asking where they were going to sit and eat???? WHAT. That happened at least once a day during that time.
Right now they are adding a second lane Drive Thru and we had a woman hit the side of a new brick wall of the building and busted her car up pretty bad and asked the same thing but added that it was not painted caution yellow and we had to pay to have her car fixed... Well we did help her out and called a tow truck company and the police dept. to come remove her car off the wall and of course since the construction guys were there could give an exact dollar damage amount that was 11,000.00$. The wall was just finished so the mortar had not even set up yet and all the bricks came tumbling off the side of the building LOL it was funny in a way.
Mike

1guydude

I woulda blamed it on the curved tree too

shoot dang tree, if it wasnt bent i woulda missed it! LOL

flower

Alzheimer’s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389266/how-stupid-can-people-be#post_3439343
Yesterday, an older gentleman reversed his car into a tree in the parking lot where I work. He was reversing into a handicapped space, hit the gas too hard, hopped the curb and hit the tree. He said it was because the tree was curved. Ummm, did you not feel your caravan go over the curb? The impact caused his window to completely bust out and glass was strewn down a small embankment. Then, he said "so your business is paying for the damage, right? The tree was curved I couldn't see it."

I'll post pics of the tree tomorrow.
Older gentleman...how old?
There comes a time in everyones life when they get too "old" to drive. Early onset of Alzheimer's is but one cause, rather than admit they shouldn't be driving they make the dumbest claims to try and deflect the blame. DMV needs to know what he did, and what he said, contact his family or something.
The very fact he was backing up into a handicapped space tell us something is going on...I don't think he deserves to be called an idiot and be made fun of. I do think he needs to be removed from being allowed to drive until he can be re-evaluated to see if he is fit to continue to drive. This time it was just a tree, who knows who or what is the victim the next time.
I live with, and take care of my elderly mother, she backed up into a car that was parked as she came out of the driveway last spring. The car was not suposed to be there true enough, but it could have been a little kid just as easy. I would be so hurt to hear someone call her an idiot, and not fit for the gene pool...really people have a little mercy on the elderly.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/389266/how-stupid-can-people-be#post_3440154
Alzheimer’s
Older gentleman...how old?
There comes a time in everyones life when they get too "old" to drive. Early onset of Alzheimer's is but one cause, rather than admit they shouldn't be driving they make the dumbest claims to try and deflect the blame. DMV needs to know what he did, and what he said, contact his family or something.
The very fact he was backing up into a handicapped space tell us something is going on...I don't think he deserves to be called an idiot and be made fun of. I do think he needs to be removed from being allowed to drive until he can be re-evaluated to see if he is fit to continue to drive. This time it was just a tree, who knows who or what is the victim the next time.
I live with, and take care of my elderly mother, she backed up into a car that was parked as she came out of the driveway last spring. The car was not suposed to be there true enough, but it could have been a little kid just as easy. I would be so hurt to hear someone call her an idiot, and not fit for the gene pool...really people have a little mercy on the elderly.
Flower, I probably should have left out the older part. I NEVER referred to him as an idiot. I do, however, feel that the gentleman is stupid for thinking that a business would pay for the damage caused to his car. The gentleman was blaming the accident on a curved tree, that he "couldn't see". His car had to drive over a curb and go another 2 feet before hitting the tree. Do I think he should have his driving privileges revoked? Not necessarily. I mean we are all human and make mistakes, but I think he should be able to own up to his own mistakes.
Traveler, I keep forgetting to take pics. I promise I'll get a pic of the victimized tree.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389266/how-stupid-can-people-be#post_3440166
Flower, I probably should have left out the older part. I NEVER referred to him as an idiot. I do, however, feel that the gentleman is stupid for thinking that a business would pay for the damage caused to his car. The gentleman was blaming the accident on a curved tree, that he "couldn't see". His car had to drive over a curb and go another 2 feet before hitting the tree. Do I think he should have his driving privileges revoked? Not necessarily. I mean we are all human and make mistakes, but I think he should be able to own up to his own mistakes.
Traveler, I keep forgetting to take pics. I promise I'll get a pic of the victimized tree.
Gemmy...Snake and Spanko sounded harsh to me...not you.
I guess I'm a little sensitive when it comes to folks who are "older" that's why I asked, how old. I decided to draw attention to the fact that some older folks are having troubles they won't admit and actually need to have their privleges revoked. I wanted to remind everyone that these old "idiots" could actually be suffering from old age and they deserve a little respect.
I also know it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around....I worked on the railroad for over 30 years and once a fellow came to the yard demanding an explanation of why the train hit his dog. My boss rubbed his chin, and with a straight face told him that he doubted the train left the track to chase his dog down, maybe the dog was on railroad property to get hit. Outraged the man left and complained to the company...would you believe the company paid the man for his dog!
Another story...My late husband used to remind me everyday to be careful when backing up the van, I might hit a pole or a tree, and it was hard to judge. Well, guess who hit a pole...