how to catch a fish without...

buzz

If you find out the answer, let me know. I have an injured small Blue Tang that won't let me get near it to put it in a hospital tank. Been trying for several days to get it.

sandman12

If it were me buy a tank divider thye r like 10 bucks a least for a ten gallon and cut him off from the rest of the tank then get him with the net.
HTH Let me know if it worked out

m.rogers

i have waited for about 2 or 3 hours after the lights are out and then go in after a fish sometimes it works and sometime it does not.
good luck
mike

donjasper

I've been pondering this issue (prior to adding any 'chancy' fish).
The non-politically correct method that I can think of is cyanide. That's how they catch the wild fish in the first place. After all they have a whole ocean to hide in not just a small aquarium.
So the technical problems that follow are (1) dosage and (2) source of the cyanide. Probably plenty of places to get dosage information (there's got to be web sites for the divers that use it professionally). I haven’t yet bothered to explore sources - as I'm not sure that I want to do it.

Thats just wrong. Cyanide will eventually kill a fish. It also can cause severe health problems in the divers that use it. Most fish caught today are net caught however there are still unscrupulous collectors in the Philipines and other less civilized ares who still use it. Most fish caught by this method will die within a few months. One of the main principles behind MAC or MACNA or something like that(never good with acronyms) is to stop this practice. Its an international foundation which amoungst other things teaches collectors to use nets.
DO NOT USE CYANIDE IN YOUR TANK.

donjasper

Originally posted by Terminus Est
Thats just wrong. Cyanide will eventually kill a fish. It also can cause severe health problems in the divers that use it. Most fish caught today are net caught however there are still unscrupulous collectors in the Philipines and other less civilized ares who still use it. Most fish caught by this method will die within a few months. One of the main principles behind MAC or MACNA or something like that(never good with acronyms) is to stop this practice. Its an international foundation which amoungst other things teaches collectors to use nets.
DO NOT USE CYANIDE IN YOUR TANK.

I agree. (I think. I don't have the option to remove all the rock from my tank - and so am not sure how to remove a 'troublemaker'. Not a high priority for me right now).
But that doesn't do anything for the principle problem of the market place - and cyanide fish will always be less expensive.

clarkiiboi

This has worked for me a few times, it requires netting, so it is up to you. I hide the net between the water line and the glass top I have. Try not to let the net touch the water (turn it over so it wont), if that has happened full alert goes into affect, LOL. I then feed and wait for the perfect moment/angle and give 1 quick swipe down and to the front of the glass. If you miss---give up (from experience), try again the next day. It has worked a few times, but I also have removed rock and it was a heck of alot easier and faster. HTH some.

If you have room in the corners of your tank, with no rock or coral for about 10-15 cm radius from the corner, use the divider method. Coax or spook the fish with the net over near the corner, then stab the divider down and pull it towards the corner so it is trapped, then net quickly. Some would say this is extra stress, but chasing them with the net and pulling them out of the water and into air in the first place could not be much less stressful. With patience you can wait until the fish approaches the corner, or put food in the corner, then use the divider. Let me know how it works for you.
:) ;) :D

fishkiller

Buy a beverage in a CLEAR plastic bottle, I use an OJ bottle... "Simply Orange" or Indian River....mmmm OJ... sorry..
If the opening of the bottle is not large enough, cut it to make it big enough. Put a small amount of the fish's favorite food. In my case, I use Mysis shrimp.... Just a little though. Submerse the bottle slowly into the water and lay it on the sand or on the rocks, somewhere it will stay still and won't roll onto corals. You may have to weigh it down, OR turn off a powerhead or two. Don't worry, this method will not take long enough to cause any stress by turning off the powerheads. Stay still and watch the curiosity and hunger take over the fish's instincts to avoid danger. He'll eventually go into the bottle, and when he does, MOVE SLOW, and pick the bottle up out of the water. NO NETTING. This is how I catch everybody in my tank when needed. The only one that doesn't fall for it is my yellow watchman goby. I don't know how I'm going to catch him. I'm building a trap for him that will automatically keep him in once he's in. I hope it works. And I hope this advice works for you. :D