How to frag a shroom/and keep it.

oceana

Originally Posted by Tboy
y do u want to cut your shroom in half of three for?
what is the purpose of it?

no reason other then if you cut it in half you get two shrooms if you cut it into three you get three. i recommended cutting in half only the first few times till you get the hang of it. the smaller the pieces you cut the more care and better conditions that are needed for success.

hot883

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to tell you that I FINALLY did it. Thanks for all your explainations and examples on here. I fragged one of my shrooms today. been meaning to do it for awhile but was alittle aprehensive. I will let ya know how they come out.
About how long before they start to heal? Thanks, Barry

oceana

Originally Posted by hot883
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to tell you that I FINALLY did it. Thanks for all your explainations and examples on here. I fragged one of my shrooms today. been meaning to do it for awhile but was alittle aprehensive. I will let ya know how they come out.
About how long before they start to heal? Thanks, Barry
thats up to your tank. and how good the conditions are.
mine are attached in about 5-7 days

hot883

Originally Posted by oceana
thats up to your tank. and how good the conditions are.
mine are attached in about 5-7 days
Thanks for the quick response. My tank is doing great. Everything flourishes and i have had NO problems since I added my sump/refugium. The pic. is of the colony of shrooms which I took 1 off of today.

chris24

Hey Oceana I have a couple questions for you. I was wondering if I could frag these too? Not sure what the names of any of them are but also need to know if I can frag the fluffy green ones? Never thought about dividing them but getting kind of big and some are growing too close together. thanks for any help you can give me.
Chris

oceana

yes everything you pictured can be fraged. well except for the star lol
the GSP is really easy and you simply slice off the size chunk you want and super glue gel it to another rock. very each and hardy coral to frag.
the shroom can be done as i stated in the first of this tread. the rics can also be done the same way but for somereason they dont like being fraged from time to time. most of the time it is fine but every now and then i will lose one.

hot883

Just an update Oceana. The shroom that I fragged on the 9th is doing very well. I fragged, netted, and placed high on my rocks. I checked today and 2 were already attached to their new rocks and almost completely round. The other 2 were growing on the netting. So I pulled them off and will try them 2 again.

amandal

Wow, this is a great thread! I always figured slicing shrooms up would kill them. I can't wait to try this.

ryansholl

Originally Posted by fwildthing
results of fragging shrooms.... it works very well
Looks to me like you need the "yellow tang" of mushroom eating fish...
Please tell me those glow under actinics or something!

amandal

Originally Posted by oceana
yes everything you pictured can be fraged. well except for the star lol.
You actually could frag the star if you really wanted to... just make sure you get a piece of the mouth in each portion you cut, and it will grow into a new star.

zap800

hey i havent been around this site for a long time. so i thought i would check up on this site. i was wondering. any of you guys/gals fragged out an umbrella mushrom? i like where he is but i was thinking of cutting a piece of him off and seeing it will regenerate. he is about 8 inches when fully open and it will be a shame to cut him up. thats why i was thinking of just cutting a chunk out of him, attaching the peice to a rock and letting the original just grow back the peice i cut off. does this sound like it will work. thank you in advance.
zap800@excite.com

fisherson

figured i'd bring this great thread back to the top as well as ask a question.
I have a Shroom rock with so many shrooms there all starting to overlap each other. Would i be better off taking the 2-4 inch shrooms off the rocks and fragging them or taking the newer 1/2 inch shrooms cutting them at the base and just attaching them to some rubble?

diane4

I thought when you do frag a shroom, it is best to make a bowl filled with the same tank water. Take the rock out of the tank and place it in the bowl you just made up from the main tank water.
Take the rock and turn it upside and cut one of the shrooms as close as you can get it to the base of the rock. And then place the new frag'd shroom (complete circle and stem) on a new piece of rock. Some people use a toothpick to mount the newly fragged piece onto the new rock, and I have also read from another buddy on this forum that they mount the frag using a piece of netting and rubber bands.
I have 6 rhodactus animals on 1 peice of rock and the largest circle when fully opened is appx 8 inches in diameter. The shroom peices are basically competing with one another for space to be fully opened.
I hate cutting any animal, I know people do frag and they claim it doesn't hurt them, but I am not totally convinced of that and maybe I have been chicken to try the frag myself. I will eventually get up the nerve, but cutting the full circle into segments is something I won't do. Just my opinion.

oceana

Originally Posted by diane4
I thought when you do frag a shroom, it is best to make a bowl filled with the same tank water. Take the rock out of the tank and place it in the bowl you just made up from the main tank water.
Take the rock and turn it upside and cut one of the shrooms as close as you can get it to the base of the rock. And then place the new frag'd shroom (complete circle and stem) on a new piece of rock. Some people use a toothpick to mount the newly fragged piece onto the new rock, and I have also read from another buddy on this forum that they mount the frag using a piece of netting and rubber bands.
I have 6 rhodactus animals on 1 peice of rock and the largest circle when fully opened is appx 8 inches in diameter. The shroom peices are basically competing with one another for space to be fully opened.
I hate cutting any animal, I know people do frag and they claim it doesn't hurt them, but I am not totally convinced of that and maybe I have been chicken to try the frag myself. I will eventually get up the nerve, but cutting the full circle into segments is something I won't do. Just my opinion.

IMO those are one of the best srooms to frag. realy big so even small pieces are bigger then normaly shrooms. i go to twon on our giant shrooms once every two months. i have NEVER lost one with this method.
BTW yes you should use the tank water

oceana

Originally Posted by fisherson
figured i'd bring this great thread back to the top as well as ask a question.
I have a Shroom rock with so many shrooms there all starting to overlap each other. Would i be better off taking the 2-4 inch shrooms off the rocks and fragging them or taking the newer 1/2 inch shrooms cutting them at the base and just attaching them to some rubble?
i personaly would do both
. but the second choice will serve you in two ways.
cut the small ones off and put them in a cup with rubble. THEN the small amount of flesh left behind on the original rock will turn into new shrooms!! gotta love shrooms :cheer:
BTW in the first threads i never said where to get the cups. i find the perfect cups can be purchased in the baby dept of places like target. they are baby food cups. come in packs of 6 for only 2 bucks. nice heavy plastic that sinks and can be reused for a long time.
another cheap place for the netting is to buy one of those shower puffy things that you use with body gel(not sure what they are called). Open up one of those and you have enought neting to last along time. PS: i should not have to say this but just in case be sure sure its a new one never used with soap.