How's this setup?

doboy

I was thinking of replacing the loc line tube off my sump with a piece of pvc with holes in it to spread the outflow, and placing another 500 GPH pump in a closed loop with a sea swirl. I already have the Sea swirl, i'm just looking for the best way to put it all together.

squidd

I have run a number of spray bars on a number of different tanks
I have run several different size piping at various lengths...
I have run multiple small holes...Drilled holes larger....
I have run 1 outlet, 2 outlet "T"s, 4-8 outlet "spreader bars"....
I have also "measured" the flow rates of the different setups...
There is a tradeoff in having the flow "distribution" of a spray bar
And that is in a measurable loss of flow potential...upwards of 30% depending on the restrictiveness of the setup...
Many small holes are the worse...1/4" or less -30%
Multiple "bigger holes" aren't much better... up to 1/2" -25%
3/4" or larger "multiple" outlets (4 to 8) are "starting" to get better -12-15%
Two outlet "T"s of "same size as main run aren't too bad -5-6%
And a single outlet of proper size pipe is the best and "Base" number for the comparisons...
I am confident your "results" will not vary much from these numbers...

doboy

Thanks, Squidd.
So, what I'm getting is that it's a bad idea?
Based on your loss calculations, would it be better to switch out my 500 GPH pump in the sump for say, a 700? I could then use the 500 in the closed loop with the single outlet (sea swirl), and compensate for the loss out of my sump when using a spray bar.
Or are you saying that spray bars are just plain a bad idea?
Thanks,
Jim

squidd

No, they are not a "bad" idea..
You just need to calc in the losses from restriction and possbly up-size the pump to replace the lost flow...
There are "benifits" to a spray bar/spreader bar system but you need to weigh them against the potential negitives...
These are just numbers for you to use in your "calcs"...
There is a tradeoff in having the flow "distribution" of a spray bar

squidd

Originally posted by bigtyguyy
what should the turnover rate be for 100G and what pump would be best for that. ( how many GPH?)

The "Turnover rate" for your tank..or any tank for that matter depends on what you want to keep "in" the tank...
FO or FOWLR 10X to 15X (more if your going Aggressive)
Reef with softies 10X to 15x ...
Reef with softies and LPS 15X to 20X..
Reef with LPS and SPS 20X to 30X...
SPS Reef 25X to 30X (or more)..
These are just "Guidelines" and Goals to shoot for and are not "Gosple" or written in stone...
Some people run more or less in any particular type of tank and have good luck as well...But these are "safe" numbers to play with..
Also in the equation of "Which pump" is the question ....
Do you have a sump...
Will all the flow come from the sump...
Do you have "supplemental" flow devices...(HOB Skimmer or powerheads) or a closed Loop system planed...
How much are you getting from each of these options...
How much do you need from this pump...
Where is this pump located...(Sump, C/L, OTT..???)
What's you overflow rated for (if you have/use one)...
Etc...???

doboy

Squidd,
I took your advice (sort of).
I wanted to see what the spray bar would look like, so I made one. Aside from the look (not very nice to have a big white pipe across the back of the tank), you were absolutely, positively, 100% right about the flow -- of course, you knew that.
So, I took that sucker off and put my loc line pipe back on.
I bought an additional pump for a closed loop. So, now I have a Mag 7 running my sump, and a Mag 5 in my CL.
I noticed that the sound of my siphon box changed. I got significantly quieter with the Mag 7. With the Mag 5, I got a pretty good sucking sound down the pipe feeding the sump. Using the Mag 7, no sucking noise at all.
I wanted to see what you thought my acutal flow might be. The two pumps combined give 1200 gph, which would make about 21X. However, I know that's not what I'm getting with piping, fittings, etc.
My CL is a 1" PVC pipe with 1/8 inch holes spaced every 1/2 inch all the way around. It is 12" long. Piping is 1/2 inch I.D. flexible tubing. Pump is the Mag 5. Outlet is a 3/4" sea swirl. I read a post where you said that you didn't particularly trust Mag pumps in-line, so I placed it in the sump for cooling. That gives me about 4 ft of tubing from the intake down to the sump, and 4 ft back up.
Sump setup is the mag 7 running 1/2 inch tubing also. 4 ft up to a 1/2" loc line pipe.
With the 1/2 inch tubing, how much would I lose in GPH?
Thanks,
Jim

doboy

Thanks for the advice. I spent the afternoon switching all the fittings, tubing, etc to 3/4 inch. What a difference! I had to drop my siphon box a little, but other than that, no problems.