Hypo/QT question

prime311

I don't have a filter for my qt. How often/much should I do for water changes? Its a 30 gallon housing a 3" Porc Puffer and 3" Huma Trigger. I'm currently administering hypo for what I think is velvet, does that affect anything? Is it worthwhile to raise the temperature to 80+ from its current 76?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hypo does not treat velvet. Hypo only treats ich. Can you describe what is going on with your fish?
Do a one gal water change on your QT daily. Make sure you have really good water circulation throughout the tank. You may want to get the eclipse hood for a 30gal. I used this for my QT and it was pretty good. A bit of a filter, lighting and a hood all rolled into one.

prime311

I had a filter but it stopped working so now theres a small powerhead in the tank to keep the water moving. I've got my eye open ofr a new filter but im not going to go all out on it money is tight oenough right now. It might be ich tbh I'm not sure. Theres small white spots all over the fish, its really visible on their fins. Its not the large white spots that Ive seen before that are ich, but there isn't the goldish tint that would indicate velvet either. I read somewhere else that hypo is a treatment for velvet, but I'm open to whatever. I have barely lowered the salinity so far, its at 1.020. If you recall I had some problems with my foxface not long ago I'll repost the whole story for you.

prime311

My foxface started showing signs of HLLE. I suspected my tusk was picking on the foxface and at one point it looked like a chunk of tail was actually missing from the foxface. I never actually witnessed any aggression and my fox would sometimes follow the tusk around so it seemed odd but at this point I wasn't sure what else to think. I had a Humu trigger in qt and added him to the tank to keep the tusk otherwise occupied just in case it was aggression thinking the 2 would keep each other in check. After a few days the Fox appeared to be on the road to recovery and was looking better colorwise. At first the tusk would chase the humu a bit but after a few days he gave up on that. Then one day like a week later I found the fox dead in the tank. He didn't look picked on at all but he did have a big black spot on him like some sort of bacterial infection. A couple days later I started seeing ich or velvet like spots on my tusk and porcupine puffer. Knowing that it could be cause by stress but with good water quality they should be ok I let it go. I tested my water and all was good and i did a large water change anyway just to be safe. Maybe a day or so later I started seeing the same thing on my humu trigger. On top of this my humu started 'scratching' himself on the rocks and puffer would go through random bouts of twitching.
Both of these are symptoms of ich or velvet and it was getting bad so i started setting my qt up again. The next day late at night I noticed my angel was acting more lethargic then usual, but otherwise looking ok. The next morning both my flame angel and tusk were near dead. I proceeded to give fw dips to all fish in the tank, sans the eel who has been unaffected by the whole thing. Neither the tusk nor angel survived, altho in their condition I knew it was a longshot already. I put the humu and puffer back in but they still show the same twitchy/scratching symptoms as before. The next day I go pickup some stuff I needed from aquatics unlimited and had them test my water. The only thing out of whack was my alkalinity was a bit low, but this shouldn't be at all harmful in a tank with no corals. I move them both to qt and started reducing the salinity last night. Only the eel remains in my display.
So this is where I'm at now. I know its not chemicals in tank or poor water quality. I have a choco star and urchin and some hermit crabs in the tank and they all seem ok along with the eel. Something caused the onset of all this and it all seemingly started with the foxface showing hlle symptoms, which is a suspected problem of stray voltage. Adding the humu may have introduced ich or velvet into my tank. He was in qt and had previously been treated with copper but who knows. I did pull him out of qt early because I didnt want the tusk messing with my weakened fox. Suffice to say, if it was only aggression related stress it never shouldve affected the puffer or angel at all who were never messed with by anyone and I wouldnt expect it to affect the tusk who was the only real aggressor in my tank anyway. So something caused the onset of all this and I've ruled out chemical poisoning and water quality and I'm fairly certain its not aggression related stress. That only leaves voltage in the tank. Like I said though, I'm open to suggestion if you have some other ideas.

prime311

Oh I also forgot to mention one of the reasons I was thinking velvet is because the top of my triggers top fin is a rust color and thats a symptom of velvet. I'll see if I can snap you some photos, we have our digital camera back now.

prime311

Ok I cant seem to get any good pictures and also my puffer and trigger are already looking better. I would like to know how you would treat velvet though as I thought its a parasite like ich and needs to be removed completely or it won't go away.

sepulatian

Small dots on the fins are ich spots. If it was Velvet then the fish would be dead long before it reached the fins. Velvet targets the gills, then you would see whitish slime on the head.
Pick up a cheap HOB filter. They cost all of $40. You need mechanical filtration, especially with messy fish.
Are the two fish all of what you have in there? If not then ich will still be going strong when they return to the DT. If there are other fish then pull them out as well.

prime311

Do you know why the top of my triggers dorsal fin has turned a reddish color? Could that be a bacterial infection of some sort? All thats left in my dt is inverts and a snowflake eel. I know the SFE can be a carrier but as far as fish go they are the least likely carriers because of their particular resistances to ich parasites. Thats according to fenner anyway. Even if I could catch the SFE I don't think I can keep him in my qt with the puffer and trig already in there.
Also this is what the fish looked like when they died which is another reason why i suspect velvet. Maybe its a combination of both? The very first thing i noticed though it wasn't really white spots on the fins. You know how a fin is usually somewhat see through? Well very small dot areas were a solid white rather then see through. That was the first odd thing I noticed and at first I just thought it was very small pieces of substrate caught on the fin. If you look at the fins of this fish you see they almost look dusty. Thats exactly what it looked like and I saw it on the fins first before it was on the body. it never took on the gold dust appearance they talk about though.
The dusty appearance is gone from my trig and puffer now though. The only remaining signs are my puffers eyes are still a bit cloudy and the trigger has that miscolored fin. I really have no idea what to do now. Should I give the trig a Formaline bath? Should I treat with Copper? How long do I leave the Trig and Puffer out of display? Do I treat all fish with Copper when I get them moving forward?

prime311

Another question. On a local reef forum someone said my tanks temp could be causing undue stress on the fish. My tank has been running 74-75 degrees since December. I was going by liveaquarias recommendations for fish. The other person said I should keep my temp around 80. Would you agree with this assessment?

prime311

Help please :) I'm waiting to do any treatment but i want to get started on something(hypo or copper) before its too late.

sepulatian

Copper will treat either but puffers are sensitive to copper. If the spots go all the way down his body then I seriously doubt that it is velvet. I would go with hyposalinity personally. If the spots are not gone in about a week then you will know that you are dealing with a different parasite.
74-75 is a little low for salt fish. You may want to slowly raise it. Don't raise it quickly though.

prime311

My QT's at 80 right now. It was at 77 when I first put the fish in and I moved it up over a couple days. I guess I'll do the same for the display. I just ordered a refrac so I'll start a slow hypo until it arrives. Also I found someone with an Emperor 400 on my local reef forum so getting that on saturday as well. Thanks!

prime311

Update:
Emperor 400 on qt
Divided QT with eggcrate because of increase humu aggression in small tank
Puff and Trig eating and looking ok, but not good
QT at 1.019 slowly lowering(still awaiting refrac to arrive)
Buffering both qt and dt to combat low alkalinity, suspect Oceanic salt mix is the problem
Raised dt up to 78 degrees
Trigger: note the discoloration on the fins. What is this?

Puffer: I couldnt get any photos that show what I see but 1 eye is cloudy and the other eye appears to be deteriorating a bit behind it. Otherwise looks ok.