I added a new tang today and my old tang is pissed off!! lol

latinlord

Soooooo Today I purchased a new tang.. A powder brown tang... and my yellow tang is furious!! lol... He keeps ramming him and causing a fuss... My power was getting annoyed now the powder is on the left side of the tank and the yellow on the right except when he feels like ramming my powder...
Any suggestions or comments??
Here is a few pick right before and after my yellow tang rams into my power brown.. Looks like it is NEW FISH HAZING! I heard of Angels fighting but not tangs... hummm I figure things will calm down in couple of days...

meowzer

Some say turning the lights off helps....I have a few tangs...every once in a while they give each other the "TAIL" LOL....but no ramming.

latinlord

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3022826
Just for my own info did you Quarantine your new fish
No... I put it in an aclimation bucket for the day, getting it used to the water... then I turn the lights off and put him in the tank...
I don't have $ for a QT, nor do I have the time or resources to make a separate tank just for Q... So far I have had no casualties..

florida joe

Originally Posted by latinlord
http:///forum/post/3022849
No... I put it in an aclimation bucket for the day, getting it used to the water... then I turn the lights off and put him in the tank...
I don't have $ for a QT, nor do I have the time or resources to make a separate tank just for Q... So far I have had no casualties..
My friend take it from someone who knows you can only roll the dice so many times before you crap out

jordan3548

http:///forum/post/3022872
My friend take it from someone who knows you can only roll the dice so many times before you crap out
Thats what I dont understand I was talking to my LFS about it yesterday, I have never had a QT tank and I've had my tank for about 4 years now without a single problem except the occasional algae break out. I have no protein skimmer and none of the fancy stuff people use these days. Before I buy something I check my water conditions which are 99.9 % of the time all 0's and go from there. It kinda makes me giggle inside when I see these people with 1000's of dollars in there tank and are experincing serious issues while I have a regular filter Penguin 350 1 maxijet 1200 and thats it. I honestly think most of the stuff people buy is ridiculous I think unless your in the 200 gallon and ^ league you shouldnt need all that stuff. Maybe I am missing something if I am please fill me in on the info

latinlord

Originally Posted by jordan3548
http:///forum/post/3022886
Thats what I dont understand I was talking to my LFS about it yesterday, I have never had a QT tank and I've had my tank for about 4 years now without a single problem except the occasional algae break out. I have no protein skimmer and none of the fancy stuff people use these days. Before I buy something I check my water conditions which are 99.9 % of the time all 0's and go from there. It kinda makes me giggle inside when I see these people with 1000's of dollars in there tank and are experincing serious issues while I have a regular filter Penguin 350 1 maxijet 1200 and thats it. I honestly think most of the stuff people buy is ridiculous I think unless your in the 200 gallon and ^ league you shouldnt need all that stuff. Maybe I am missing something if I am please fill me in on the info
Yea my skimmer is comming this week... "hopefully"...
I knw what you mean.. it is really the luck of the draw... The more you have the mo problems..."mo money...mo problems" haha

R

rcreations

I tell you... I would gamble with any fish other than something like a powder brown or blue tang. These are notorious ich magnets. But nothing you can do now, just hope for the best.

florida joe

Originally Posted by jordan3548
http:///forum/post/3022886
My friend I think you may be missing the point. Your water parameters have nothing to do with you introducing a parasite or bacteria into your DT not to mention the benefit of monitoring your new fish for its general health IMO the longer you introduce new fish with out QT the closer you come to a catastrophe

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3022900
My friend I think you may be missing the point. Your water parameters have nothing to do with you introducing a parasite or bacteria into your DT not to mention the benefit of monitoring your new fish for its general health IMO the longer you introduce new fish with out QT the closer you come to a catastrophe
so... a new tang... one of the ick magnet variety... and it is really stressed because of the old tank being pissed off at it. hmmmm. lets keep an eye on the disease forum and see how this plays out...
SORRY OP. I rolled those dice one too many times and eventually lost. Never again. Always QT. A QT is a ten gallon tank, a heater and a HOB filter. Total cost $40. Probably less than you paid for your PBT. Good luck.

culp

when i added a Hippo Tang into my tank with my Sailfin tang i sat there for 3 hours watching him for 3 hours and every time my Sailfin even got near the Hippo i would go chase him away with a net and after the 3 hours the Sailfin finally got it i guess and stop going after the Hippo.

crimzy

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3022978
A QT is a ten gallon tank, a heater and a HOB filter. Total cost $40. Probably less than you paid for your PBT. Good luck.

You don't have many fish survive QT, do you? Or you just never kept tangs, sharks or any larger fish?
To the OP, your tang has a MUCH better chance of survival in your display than to throw it into an upgraded fishbowl for a month, (as do all your fish). QT is fine WHEN DONE RIGHT... with your stock, that would require at least a 50 gallon tank. The majority of people don't use them as they are definitely not a necessity.
BTW, the aggression generally subsides after a couple of days. Good luck with your tang... looks great.

florida joe

The majority of people don't use them as they are definitely not a necessity.
Is this your personal opinion or based on published research ?

crimzy

http:///forum/post/3023127
Is this your personal opinion or based on published research ?
Both... there have been several polls on this site alone, and most people don't use QT's. However those who do are always the most outspoken.
And it's not a necessity... that simply comes from years of successful fish-keeping without one, as well as observation of other systems without QT.

aquaknight

Several things (knew this was coming). Again, it's not right to blame the practice of QT. When people don't QT properly, it's their fault, not the methodology of QT.
However there is one huge caveat you are leaving out when you recommend not QTing. You have to get healthy fish, from a good source. This is where it fouls up your 'majority' idea. The majority of people don't
get healthy fish. They usually get bad fish from a bad online site, a good online site that happened to slip up, a bad lfs, or a good lfs that slipped up. At this point, honestly, I think any QT is a better idea. If I was to try, say a Powder Blue from *****, or that LFS no one trusts, any QT will do. A 10gal, a friggin' milk jug even when risk putting that thing in the display....

R

rcreations

Sometimes I QT sometimes I don't. When I buy a fish from my LFS, I always QT because 90% of their fish have ich, visibly. So it'd be crazy to put any fish from this store in my DT. But there's a store I buy from online that QT and treats fish before selling them and anything I buy from them goes straight in the DT.