I can't get trates to come down

our gang

I have a 150 with overflows. Here are my parameters:
ammo.-0
trites-0
ph-7.8
trates-80
I have done (4) 60 gallon water changes in the past 4 days and my nitrates are unchanged. What can I do to get them down? Thanks for any input.

skipperdz

i too am having the same problem for my 55g! i bought a remora c skimmer which is suppose to help rid of trates. im crossing my fingers it works for me. ive done the water changes too and nada.
maybe just maybe, your tester is bad? i had them check my ammonia one time and it came out at 0 but my tester said it was high, so i bought a new one.
best of luck

sinner's g

That's a lot of water changes in a short amount of time.
I'd take a sample of water to your lfs or ***** and have them test it. I too had a bad test kit, also, check the expiration date, they can give off results if they expire.
Do you have cc or ls? If you have cc, start vaccuing it, if your not.
Do you have a ugf? They are nitrate trappers as well.
What kind of fliter to you have?
What was your nitrates reading before this one, and when was your last water change?
Has anything died or do you have a reason for the high nitrates?

florida joe

just under a 200% water change in 4 days test the water your using i bet it cant be ro if it is im betting on a bad test kit

al mc

Gang...Probably need more info about your tank before you can get the best advice.
how many fish? inverts? Crushed coral or sand substrate? Did you test the water that you were using for changes for nitrates before using? RO/Di water?
Filtration: Wet/Dry ?
How much water flow/water turnover in your DT?
Sump/Refugium?
thanks

pohtr

My nitrates stayed very high for over a year until my protein skimmer finally started working right (had to call the manufacturer) and when my refugium had a chance to do its work. Now they are 0.

sepulatian

How often were you doing water changes before? Nitrates can easily build up. It is much harder to lower nitrates than it is to just keep up with them. Do 15% changes every three days until they are under control. There is no substitute for water changes.

our gang

I have a megaflow 4 sump and the trate readings have always stayed around 80. but they spiked to 180 and fish started dying. The fish that died are emperer angel, peacock flounder, blue hippo tang, blue mandarin, percula clown and algae blennie. the fish that remain are foxface, coral beauty, racoon butterfly, cc starfish and horseshoe crab. The racoon botterfly is starting to lose his scales. I'll take a water sample to lfs today for testing. The fish have been in the tank for at least 6 months, so it has to be something i'm doing wrong. Just can't figure out what. I also took the bio balls out of the sump yesterday, was told that they can hold trates.

B

bellaroxio

Given that all parameters were the same, within a week of taking bio balls out (I had mixture of balls and LR in the sump), combine with (2) water changes, I reduced mine from 60 to 5-10 (which is normal).
good luck

our gang

I found the problem, it's a bad test kit. I took a sample to my lfs and the trates are at 10. Everything is good with the tank now. I guess the fish died as a result of moving last month. Thanks for the help everyone. Now to see when I can get another emperer angel and blue hippo from swf.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by our gang
I found the problem, it's a bad test kit. I took a sample to my lfs and the trates are at 10. Everything is good with the tank now. I guess the fish died as a result of moving last month. Thanks for the help everyone. Now to see when I can get another emperer angel and blue hippo from swf.
Take your sweet time adding fish back in. One fish per 2-3 weeks is best. Be certain to QT these fish.