I.D. help

dadummy

does anyone know what this is? I have looked and looked, finally was in spot for a clear pic.
thanks for your time

Looks like a fleshy limpet.
Now that you said that I can see the shell. I never knew they could be so pretty, ok where can I get one???

sula

I've got one that looks just like that, only bright yellow. It came as a hitchhiker on my rock :happyfish

dadummy

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Looks like a fleshy limpet.
i don't think it's a limpet,
was looking at it one day from a side view. on it's underside , I saw legs, the legs looked like that of an urchin. this one also came hitched on LR.

sula

Originally Posted by froznfinn
I'm not positive but it may be a spanish dancer nudibranch... :thinking:
Don't they get to be 2 feet long! :scared:
After doing an image search on both, I'm going with Limpet. At some point I got the idea mine was called a "skirted" limpet, not exactly sure where I got that from or if it's accurate.
Let's see if this picture works, it sure is hard to photograph...

dadummy

here's some info, borrowed from another site. think it's pretty accurate, cause the undersides of the LR it grazes on is bare"Orange Frilly Limpet - Lucapina aegis
Can you ID this?
<yep>
It's in a reef tank. Is it bad or good , Friend or foe..
<foe... as most limpets ultimately are. They are somewhat indiscriminate feeders on benthic life forms. The brighter colors are usually a giveaway (noxious and freely predating on desirable reef life - perhaps corals or sponges). Its best to remove this species and a tank without reef invertebrates."

sula

well, all I know is I've had mine for 18 months and it has never bothered anything, it just seems to graze on algae.
Unless it likes softies - maybe that's why I can't get Xenia to grow in that tank :thinking:

froznfinn

oops! missed that little bit of info..although if you google spanish dancer it has a remarkable likeness :hilarious