I guess MacOS isn't as 'safe' as it used to be

dragonzim

Not that I'm ever happy to see anyone get an infection on their computer but maybe now we can at least get rid of the smug, holier than though attitude that most Mac users have when extolling the virtues of their dear Macs and saying how they are impervious to virus attacks... No, you're not impervious, no one just ever bothered....

bigarn

You are all jealous because us MAC owners are more intelligent and mature than most. Now stay away from my pretty magic box you bad virus doo-doo heads!

aquaknight

Quote the article:
Early reports show that users have been targeted as they search Google Images, one user stating that the bogus MacDefender application was automatically downloaded as he browsed images of Piranhas.
I bet it was Piranhas
... But as a bit of side discussion, for Windows users as well, this really has gotten out of control in the last 2-3 months. I often search on Google Images for fish/corals/etc, to help with ID's and stuff, and within the last few months the amount of attacks on my computer has skyrocketed. I don't even click anyway, or even get to their actual webpage (still at the webcache.google.com part with just the image).
It usually just minimizes my browser (Firefox) to a pop-up, says my computer is infected and click okay to continue. I use the task manager to kill Firefox and nothing has happened yet, but might soon.

monsinour

Crackers - People who use their knowledge of something for negative, or evil intent.
Hackers - People who use their knowledge for creating something better from something else.
Malware is created by crackers, not hackers.
And yea, no one ever bothered to write these things for macs before. If you are going to be evil, why not target the largest audience for greatest effect? Anyone ever think that these mac attacks originate somewhere near redmond wa?
Taking the holier than thou approach, you would have to switch to Linux and even then, there are some doozies out there for Linux.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/385476/i-guess-macos-isn-t-as-safe-as-it-used-to-be#post_3380773
Crackers - People who use their knowledge of something for negative, or evil intent.
Hackers - People who use their knowledge for creating something better from something else.
Malware is created by crackers, not hackers.
And yea, no one ever bothered to write these things for macs before. If you are going to be evil, why not target the largest audience for greatest effect? Anyone ever think that these mac attacks originate somewhere near redmond wa?
Taking the holier than thou approach, you would have to switch to Linux and even then, there are some doozies out there for Linux.

The Great Computer Guru stirkes again. Dude, I deal with "crackers" and "hackers" on a daily basis. That's what I do. If you like, I'll "crack" your home network. If you don't think I can't, think again...

nikesb

from my ERP classes, mac was avoided because their share of the market was definately not worth the time to steal information. looks like theyve got enough market share now, now time to see how the big boys play

i too agree with the total arrogance mac users have