I just set up a new tank and not having much luck.

lb68

I purchased dry rock for my horse tank rebuild, and seeded it with amphipods, the macros had plenty of copepods. Don't go seeding dry rock for a seahorse tank with a piece of live rock, you defeat the whole purpose of selecting dry rock to begin with.
Ok, then I'm a little concerned... I have live rock and live sand in the tank (as per advice from LFS which is losing credibility fast). Can I just take the live rock out and replace it with dry rock? What do you mean by macros had plenty of copepods. I appreciate all this advice. It has been quite an experience.

lb68

Ok, then I'm a little concerned... I have live rock and live sand in the tank (as per advice from LFS which is losing credibility fast). Can I just take the live rock out and replace it with dry rock? What do you mean by macros had plenty of copepods. I appreciate all this advice. It has been quite an experience.
I will eventually add copepods but not sure what you meant by macros.

seecrabrun

Honestly. I'd just start over if seahorses are your specific goal.

I wouldn't take chance for anything. Move everything to a different tank, clean this one, and start with dry rock and sand. Seahorses, if done right, are a lot more work than people realize.

lb68

I thought you would say that... and I would agree.

After giving it much thought I'll let this tank cycle and make it a clownfish tank before going any further. If I can get that right. I'll try to save up and start a 2nd tank for seahorses with only dry rock and sand as a base and wait for it to cycle properly. I wish the LFS's were more knowledgeable and provided better guidance like I have found on this forum. Thanks again everyone.

pegasus

LFS have one goal... to sell you fish. I have been surprised when they talk about how much they know about saltwater, only to see the puzzled looks on their faces when you ask them something technical. One guy told me saltwater was his specialty. I showed him a vid of my tank, and he named most of the fish. Hmm... maybe he knows his stuff? Then he saw a coral and asked, "What is that?" I told him it was a hammer coral. It's a pretty popular coral, and nothing else looks like a hammer coral, but he didn't have a clue. So close...

There is micro algae, and then there's macro algae. Micro algae is the stuff that coats your glass and rocks. It's the bad stuff. Macro algae is beneficial algae. People use it to compete with micro algae as they both consume the same nutrients. With enough macro algae, you can reduce or eliminate micro algae in the tank. Most macro algae is grown in a refugium, but some people also put in in their main displays. Halimeda, Chaetomorpha, ulva, gracilaria, caulurpa, etc., are types of macro algae. It's the good stuff.

kdsealyon

I thought you would say that... and I would agree.

After giving it much thought I'll let this tank cycle and make it a clownfish tank before going any further. If I can get that right. I'll try to save up and start a 2nd tank for seahorses with only dry rock and sand as a base and wait for it to cycle properly. I wish the LFS's were more knowledgeable and provided better guidance like I have found on this forum. Thanks again everyone.
I've been going through my own nightmare thanks to the LFS. I knew nothing. They ultimately do not care. All they want to do is make a sale.

flower

I've been going through my own nightmare thanks to the LFS. I knew nothing. They ultimately do not care. All they want to do is make a sale.

Hi,

This thread is from January..so you wouldn't get a response. Very true, LFS are out to make a buck...not all are bad, but beginners don't know good advice from bad. That's what makes this forum so good...if somebody gives advice that isn't so good, somebody with more knowledge will pipe in. With enough people on this site who have your back, it makes for a great safety net to prevent problems.

kdsealyon

I'm so grateful to this forum. This forum's advice has helped me keep my livestock alive while my other tank is cycling.I'll be so glad when I can move them into their 20 gallon. Changing water constantly is exhausting, but so worth it.