I Know How To Make Your Tank Up To 10 Degrees Cooler With Out A Chiller

philgmiami

ILL HAVE PICS OF MY STEP BY STEP WAY WHEN THIS THREAD FILLS UP A LIL.
. THATS RIGHT YA GOTTA WORK FOR IT

SOME OF YOU MIGHT HAVE AN IDEA, BUT THERES AN EXACT MEASUREMENT OF THE FLOW OF AIR TO THE TANK IN AND OUT
YOU COULD ACTAULY CONTROL YOUR TANKS TEMP BY YOUR HOUSE THERMASTAT..ITS THAT CLOSE

MY TANK WAS ABOUT AVR WITH MY LIGHTS 81 TO SOME TIMES UP TO 8.5

WITH MY NEW AIR FLOW SYSTEM MY TANK STAYS at 78 WITH LIGHTS ON OR OFF :joy:
I ALMOST BOUGHT A $650 CHILLER BE4 THIS
I SAVED MYSELF $610
IT ONLY COST ME $40 FOR MATERIALS

hatessushi

That's what I did since I setup my tank, the ac blows that way and I just adjusted the airflow vents until I got my temp where I want it. It pretty stable now. I will probably have to redo it all when I have to turn the heat on since we have a dual central air system. One for upstairs and one for downstairs.

lion_crazz

I don't have heat issues, but I am curious to see what worked for you. I am glad that you found something that saved you all the money of buying a chiller.

merredeth

I am also curious to see what you did.
However, my trick of filling up water bottles and two liter pop bottles with RO water that has been frozen has been very successful in keeping my tanks at a consistent 81 degrees.
Denise M.

F

fish-fiend

i'm interested because I cna't get my tank below 84 w' my new 250w mh's..

merredeth

Originally Posted by tangs123
ok its filled now show us the secret!!
I think he already did when he said he got a vent for the a/c to direct air flow.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Lubeck
I don't think the original "poster" said he bought a vent, that was someone else. I think
I stand corrected, it was another person who gave the a/c vent idea....
So.... when is this person going to let us all in on the sectret??
Denise M.

lazarus

maybe s/he wants to sell us the secret? i got my temp down about 10 degrees blowing a fan across the surface and another on the sump. which was good b/c i got no place to put a chiller, and no mo money!

bacia

OK.
So far we have...
1. Adjust air conditioning vents to blow on tank
2. Substitute "egg crate" for glass tops
3. Fan blowing across tank and/or sump
4. Bottles of frozen RO floating in sump
Phil G it is now your turn to shine! :joy: What cha got?

ninjamini

I vote used window an unit in cabinet. U can get the cheap ant install it handing out the back. Cool inside the cabinet drippy outside.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Bacia
OK.
So far we have...
1. Adjust air conditioning vents to blow on tank
2. Substitute "egg crate" for glass tops
3. Fan blowing across tank and/or sump
4. Bottles of frozen RO floating in sump
Phil G it is now your turn to shine! :joy: What cha got?
Our dislike for air conditioning and the fact my husband doesn't work in it as he works in a major pet food manufacturing plant A/C is something we seldom use as it is harder for him to go from A/C to the plant daily.
I the fan idea blowing on / under the lights, and frozen RO water and have recently added egg crate for summer months usage only. There is no A/C vent where my tank is and since I seldom run it anyway, this has proved to work well for me.
So I too, am anxious to hear what Phil has to add.
If it saves me time and money, I'm definitely interested!
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by shogun323
In Florida:
No A/C = Death
In Iowa, I've been able to pull it off without the egg crate and just the frozen RO water bottles and fan for more than just this summer. So, I'd venture to guess in the midwest regions it would work better.
Besides, I don't know of anyplace in Florida that doesn't have air conditioning. I'd think humans would be dropping off like flies if it wasn't available to Floridians.
Denise M.