I need some tempered glass help for my diy mh

todj2002

i recently have been putting together some diy mh lighting. i am using an old fixture i had with DE socket and the uv tempered glass was missing. i need to know where i can get some glass for this light that wont break from the heat. had that happen once already. not pretty!! can i just get some from my local glass shop? and what exactly do i need to ask for? really need to get this light going guys,..... any suggestions?

bmkj02

Im in the same boat. Went to a local glass shop and its a special order with a minimum price of $40. I have a aquapod 24g I am installing a MH 70w and want to replace the plastic with tempered glass

todj2002

what makes the glass safe to use with the heat of a 250 watt bulb? is it the thickness of the glass? or is it some type of specific glass for this type of application.

bmkj02

Tempered glass is already heat treated and UV treated. Needed only if you are using double ended MH bulbs as those bulbs are not UV treated glass bulbs unlike the single ended bulbs. If you have a single ended bulb then you should be safe with regular glass. Just not to thin where if water hits it it will break

geoj

Originally Posted by bmkj02
http:///forum/post/3166147
Tempered glass is already heat treated and UV treated. Needed only if you are using double ended MH bulbs as those bulbs are not UV treated glass bulbs unlike the single ended bulbs. If you have a single ended bulb then you should be safe with regular glass. Just not to thin where if water hits it it will break
I have seen both types of MH with and with out Tempered UV treated glass, so don’t assume it is treated

todj2002

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3166172
what size do you need. I may be able to help both of you
PM me
T
i have DE bulb which is not uv protected and needs the glass. T if u could help me that would be great. i would sure appreciate it. im at work now but i can get exact measurements when i get home tho. tks.

todj2002

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3166172
what size do you need. I may be able to help both of you
PM me
T
approx. 6 3/4 by 10 inches. i can make about any size work i guess, i just need it to be able to take the heat from the bulb.
im still curious as to what makes it impervious to the heat. is it the thickness along with being tempered? i wish i could get some info on iti.. im gonna go searching for some info.

todj2002

i found this info -
I'm answering this question from the perspective of a glass artist...
Thin glass warms up more quickly because it IS thin and not subject to differences in temperature within the glass itself that cause internal stress. With thick glass, the surface may be hot, but the center may still be cold, and the difference in temperature will cause it to shatter or crack.
- so maybe i should try some thin non tempered glass????

bmkj02

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3166170
I have seen both types of MH with and with out Tempered UV treated glass, so don’t assume it is treated
I dont know about that. You are the first I have ever heard say this compared to so many others that say what I say.

bmkj02

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
http:///forum/post/3166382
- so maybe i should try some thin non tempered glass????

If you can find it uv protected than I dont see why not. Dont bother with Lowes or HD as I already tried. Check with a local glass shop and see if that is an option. I dont know about that. I thought the same thing as if it shatters I dont want tiny pieces of glass in my tank. Matter of fact I am going to call the glass shop I went to last month for some pieces and see if that is an option. I will let you know soon

todj2002

ive been doing alot of reading about all of this. SE bulbs as far i have seen are uv protected by the glass the bulb is made of. but it is reccomended that it be housed in an enlcosure in case of a small crack in the bulb, this will let uv out. also of course the high temps of the bulb, and if water spashes on it, could burst sending hot glass and parts flying.
as far as the thickness of the glass, i was reading that the thicker the glass may cause it to break. the outside of the glass will be very hot while inside is cool causing it to break. different glass can handle different temps. i think i read that tempered glass can handle a constant temp of 600 degrees without breaking. so i would have to guess that a peice 3/16 tempered glass would be ideal for my application. not to thick and should be albe to take the high temp of the bulb.

bmkj02

I think we are on the right track here. I have heard tempered glass was better in many different ways. I just dont like the idea that if it does break I dont want tiny pieces of glass in the tank. I called the glass shop but the glazier guy wasnt there so I am waiting for a call back and will ask him this.