I spent 9 hours on my Tank

I spent 9 hours on my Tank last night. There was two damsels that I wanted to get rid of. I got home from work at 11:00pm and decided to catch them. I try the empty bottle with flakes but no such luck. I also need a water change and to redo my rock-work because it was too close to the front glass. After taking all the corals and base rocks, I finally caught the damsels. It took be about 30 minutes to catch them. I am going to give the fish to my friend. All my fish in the tank thanks me last night for getting rid of them. Now there are no one to bother them. So, tell me what you all think of the new look.
Before

meowzer

Looks good...LOL..I am trying to catch 2 damsels with the bottle...they are in the 225 and I AM NOT removing the rock....
I also may try fish hooks if I have to....or a

[hr]
...LOL

tax lady

beautiful. How can I have a pretty tank like that? Just bought some more lr and looks awful. Plus you have all those pretty corals. And they always look closer that I would put mine, but so gorgeous////! Never was good at decorating anything...
Real nice tank you have..

bms

i too have a few damsels in my 60 that are terrorizing my other fish and i am looking to get them out of there. what do you think would be the best technique to get them? and what is the bottle method? do you just put flakes in a bottle then wait for the fish to swim into it and remove the bottle?

spanko

From reeftime.

Have you ever tried to catch a particularly feisty fish in an aquarium that is heavily planted or full of delicate live rock? If the answer is yes, then read on! This article will teach you how to make an aquarium safe fish trap. This simple, but clever DIY fish trap will help you catch a delicate fish with no damage to aquarium life or the fish itself.
What you will need:
A 2-liter bottle
A tool to cut the 2-liter bottle
A bit of fish food that is highly favored by the fish you are attemping to capture
Directions
Start by cutting the top 4.5 inches off of the 2-liter bottle. If your fish is too large to fit into the screw top area, cut off the screw top off the bottle to make a large enough openeing for your fish to swim into. The red lines in the diagram to the right show where to cut.
If you needed to cut the screw top off of the bottle you can discard that portion. The top part should now form a funnel. Invert this funnel and insert it into the bottom portion of the bottle. It may be neccesary to make a cut in the bottom portion of the bottle to fit the funnel inside it.
The DIY fish trap construction is now complete.
Setting the fish trap
Place some food in the fish trap, and submerge it in your aquarium. You may have to take the funnel back out to ensure the trap gets full of water. If you need to sink the fish trap to the bottom, you can put a little aquarium gravel from the tank inside the trap. Just leave the fish trap in the aquarium until the hungry little fish you want to catch swins right in!
Here is a diagram of the completed fish trap:

spanko

The funnel section leads them in, is harder for them to get out the small hole, but not impossible. I have seen a 4" foxface squeeze into the trap, can't squeeze out. Hunger is a key in these type traps. Don't feed the tank, only food in the trap until the fish are caught.
Be ready to catch everything except what you want, Murphy's law and all.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3130250

Why can't the fish just swim right out?
They get freaked too....they can't decipher between the hole in the bottle and the sides either
OHHH...I caught my yellow tang 2x, bicolor blennie 1x, red spotted sandperch 1x DAMSELS ZERO!!!!
I did not leave the trap in over night for fear of harming one of my good fish.....it will go back in shortly

spanko

Lois, ever try to divide the tank. Try to divide it so the Damsels are in one side or the other. Then if you catch a fish you don't want to catch just put it in the other side until only the damsels are in the side with the bottle. Try to make that side as small as possible still leaving room for the bottle. Use something like this to divide. This stuff is available at the craft stores.

nick76

When I had to get two out of my tank, I shut all the light off in the room including the tank lights for a few hours. Remove the top, get your net ready. BAM turn everything on in the room Full Blast + The tank lights on Full, sent the 2 damsels into shock immediatly and I just scooped them right up. Piece of Cake.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3130322
Lois, ever try to divide the tank. Try to divide it so the Damsels are in one side or the other. Then if you catch a fish you don't want to catch just put it in the other side until only the damsels are in the side with the bottle. Try to make that side as small as possible still leaving room for the bottle. Use something like this to divide. This stuff is available at the craft stores.

Thanks Henry...I'll check into that at Walmart tomorrow...I tried the netting too...they are tooooo smart....
I might go get a hook ready and some fishing line....