I think my fish have ick

F

freak4fish

A few of my fish (yellow tang, coral beauty and six line wrasse) have been rubbing against the live rock and I have notice some ick spots on my paJamas fin, all my fish a pretty healthy and greedy eaters. I was wondering what the best action for me to take I was thinking of the hypo method but I have a bunch of inverts and it would suck to have to move them all to a qt, my coral beauty has been utilizing the cleaner shrimp to get some of the parasites do you think a few more cleaner shrimps could do the trick? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

scottnlisa

I just got done with an ick outbreak. I used an organic product that doesn't harm live rock, fish or invertbrates. I bought 2 bottles and in about 4 days the white spots were gone. I treated for 7 more days. it has been about 2 months and no ick. I have added new fish into my tank and still no ick. I recommend this product but this is my own opinion.

F

freak4fish

cool I think Ill try Ich Attack. @florida joe I added an Blue Spot Butterfly (which was huge mistake) that would not eat then after some research I learned they rarely eat fish food and prefer coral so needless to say he died but infected my tank. Sry I don't have any pics (my camera sucks) but it looks like spots of powered sugar on his fin.

F

freak4fish

alright I got some ich attack and dosed once tonight, I hope it works thanx scottnlisa

scottnlisa

Your welcome. I stripped my canister filter down to nothing while using that stuff. Also shut off my skimmer. Like I said I double dosed mine for 10 days.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by freak4fish
http:///forum/post/3259336
A few of my fish (yellow tang, coral beauty and six line wrasse) have been rubbing against the live rock and I have notice some ick spots on my paJamas fin, all my fish a pretty healthy and greedy eaters. I was wondering what the best action for me to take I was thinking of the hypo method but I have a bunch of inverts and it would suck to have to move them all to a qt, my coral beauty has been utilizing the cleaner shrimp to get some of the parasites do you think a few more cleaner shrimps could do the trick? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cleaner shrimp will not cure or prevent ich (the do tend to give a false sense of security); in fact, they usually don't even get at the parasite, just eat the surrounding dead tissue and the stuff the parasite produces to protect itself. I know there are several new "reef safe" products on the market and some folks swear by them. IMO, the jury is still out (I hear far more failures than success stories) and I may be old school still think only copper or hypo will really work every time. In any case, 10 days is not enough time to cure ich; the life-cycle of this parasite requires at least 4 weeks; unless some new product is claiming to kill ich in any of its several phases. As far as i know, ich can only be killed in the free-swimming stage. I'd strongly suggest you read up on this parasite and re-post your problem in the disease section of the forum--some real parasite experts hang out there. I'd also look into a QT ASAP, I have a feeling that you're going to need it. try Craig's list, all you need for a QT will cost less than one medium priced fish. Moving fish to QT may "suck"; but, IMO & IME, its the only real option you have, assuming your fish have ich, and it sounds like they do. If you properly treat your fish, QT everything new (including inverts), and let your DT go fishless for at least 4 weeks---you'll NEVER see ich in your DT again.

F

freak4fish

ok i have been dosing the ich attack for about 4 days, my fish are no longer rubbing against rocks and my pajama is almost completely free off ich spots. It seems to be working, my only complaint is the putrid smell its awful.

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by freak4fish
http:///forum/post/3260960
ok i have been dosing the ich attack for about 4 days, my fish are no longer rubbing against rocks and my pajama is almost completely free off ich spots. It seems to be working, my only complaint is the putrid smell its awful.
Yeah the smell is bad. I am glad to hear that it is working. Don't stop treatment to early.

srfisher17

I hope this works. Most ich-killers (copper included) kill only them in free-swimming stage. After they feed, they disappear for a while and then re-emerge, in much greater numbers. That's why you need to treat at least 30 days. Here's a great post, by Beth, that really explains this awful critter much better than I can: (scroll down) https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...ne-Health-Info

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3261227
I hope this works. Most ich-killers (copper included) kill only them in free-swimming stage. After they feed, they disappear for a while and then re-emerge, in much greater numbers. That's why you need to treat at least 30 days. Here's a great post, by Beth, that really explains this awful critter much better than I can: (scroll down) https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...ne-Health-Info
Like I said I got ick about 2 months ago. I used that treatment and have been ick free since. IMO I would use it again