I think this is wrong.

socal57che

I'm a red blooded hillbilly from the sticks of Missouri, so I'm sure my opinion is a tad askew, but I think this is just plain wrong.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081007/...living_goddess
Look at this little girl. She doesn't deserve to have her life messed up like this.
"the living goddess must spend a night alone in a room among the heads of ritually slaughtered goats and buffaloes"
"Nepalese folklore holds that men who marry a former kumari will die young, and so many girls remain unmarried and face a life of hardship."

keri

Yeah...but then again...there are a lot of things wrong in the world.....I wonder what kind of life she had before this? What happens if she falls and scrapes her knee....and gets a scar? Is there any long-term compensation offered to her?
I wouldn't put my kid thru that but my beliefs are not the same as theirs *shrug*
How much worse are the teeny, tiny beauty queens, really?

dragonzim

I would imagine that her family is probably set for life after this as well, which as an already impoverished caste, is probably a good thing for them

lovethesea

child abuse imo. Plus it is another way to cast aside women in their community/religion. So parents must have to train their children how to do these things in the hopes they will be chosen?

S

smartorl

We see it as child abuse and they think we are barbarians for putting our kids as infants with strangers in day care. It all boils down to culture and the society we are raised in.

iowafish

"...the child will stay in almost complete isolation at the temple..." --and--
"The girls often struggle to readjust to normal lives after they return home."
Ummm, gee, do you think
? The poor, poor, child. What a terrible, lonely life for a little one. This child is only 3? This is horrible. Gotta go hug my daughter....
KH

m0nk

Every culture has different quirks. I'd call the American "tradition" of child beauty pageants more traumatic to young girls than this...

hlcroghan

What about the women in Somalia who have their labia sown shut and then the idea of the solidifiying the marriage is to have the man rip it open?? Or how about not just doing circumcision on baby boys but on girls too?? Or how about the women who are forced to stretch their necks and then stay in the villages because the tourist revenue is too valuable to that country?? There are strange customs all over in the world. I don't necessarily feel that it is right and I wouldn't want my daughter included but I am sure in the culture that it is an honor for her and her family. I am sure she is not treated badly or hurt. It is better than getting diseases and dying from starvation like many children of the other countries around the world. I am sure that the loneliness is hard on her and her family though.

socal57che

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2785782
Every culture has different quirks. I'd call the American "tradition" of child beauty pageants more traumatic to young girls than this...

There are lots of things I think are wrong. Plates in lips, beauty pageants, circumcising infants, etc., etc., etc.
People are ate up. Why are we so self destructive?