Ick resistant thread

nuro

so i was thinking that we should complile a list of fish that can be ick resistant somewhere. i think it would be cool to have a list of all the fish that either dont get ick or are just more resistant to it then others. ok go.

aquaknight

There isn't a single species of fish. All the fish we kept have similar gill structures. Marine Ich infects the gills first due to the higher volume of water passing through the gills versus other areas on the fish. By the time someone notices the spots on the side of their Yellow tang, they're already into an outbreak.
If you want a list of fish that are know to suppress Ich into a 'livable state,' have at it... Though a thread like this will only setup someone up for failure, and is a horrible way to keep fish...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3187544
There isn't a single species of fish. All the fish we kept have similar gill structures. Marine Ich infects the gills first due to the higher volume of water passing through the gills versus other areas on the fish. By the time someone notices the spots on the side of their Yellow tang, they're already into an outbreak.
If you want a list of fish that are know to suppress Ich into a 'livable state,' have at it... Though a thread like this will only setup someone up for failure, and is a horrible way to keep fish...
I agree completely. A false sense of security is a dangerous thing in this hobby; like: "I can't get ich because I use U.V.!"
Also; clownfish may be on the tough side when it comes to ich, but they are very suseptable to brooklynella, which is harder to spot and to cure.
But in the spirit of the thread intentions: My list of ich-resistant fish would include any fish that goes through my very effective QT process.

florida joe

I am going to have to disagree here (what else is new). If we maintain a tank without any water movement I would agree that the majority of ick infestation would appear in the gills. But with all of the water movement we have within out tanks the ick parasite in its free swimming stage would be just as likely to attach itself to the body of our fish as it would to pass through its gills. If we go with that premises then to answer the OPs question IMO Mandarins as less likely to be infected because of the thick mucus lining on their body's
Please remember there is a huge difference between immune and resistant

stanlalee

different species do have variable resistance to ich (and parasites in general). Dragonets and eels for example are extremely resistant. Unfortunately I dont know others that are but there must be a few more known.

nuro

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3187689
I am going to have to disagree here (what else is new). If we maintain a tank without any water movement I would agree that the majority of ick infestation would appear in the gills. But with all of the water movement we have within out tanks the ick parasite in its free swimming stage would be just as likely to attach itself to the body of our fish as it would to pass through its gills. If we go with that premises then to answer the OPs question IMO Mandarins as less likely to be infected because of the thick mucus lining on their body's
Please remember there is a huge difference between immune and resistant
ty this is what i was going for
Originally Posted by Stanlalee

http:///forum/post/3187793
different species do have variable resistance to ich (and parasites in general). Dragonets and eels for example are extremely resistant. Unfortunately I dont know others that are but there must be a few more known.
and if i remember correctly this is do to the fact they are scaleless and have a thicker mucus caotign right?
i was just thinkign it would be great to compile a list so that if someone wanted to, they could stock based on this and maybe have a healthier tank. yes, proper quarantine is great but not everyone does that and it would be nice to have an alternative. I think its pretty hard to say you 100% have an ich free tank.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/3188043
I think its pretty hard to say you 100% have an ich free tank.
I don't know how to prove it; but I believe my tanks are ich-free. Everything in them has gone through a QT procedure that ich, at least as we know it now, can't survive. I don't belong to the group that thinks ich can stay dormant forever, or is airborne.

florida joe

Everything in them has gone through a QT procedure that ich, at least as we know it now, can't survive.
And that is the key allowing anything wet you introduce to remain in QT (hypo) long enough for all the parasites in their reproductive stage to die

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3188139
And that is the key allowing anything wet you introduce to remain in QT (hypo) long enough for all the parasites in their reproductive stage to die
Yep. Even a snail can introduce an ich bug in one of its stages.