id please!

dammar

I got this from my LFS it was listed as a "phantom gobby" unless i have horrible memory and it was a phantom blenny maybe? i havnt been able to find any info on anything by that name though, after flipping through a few books i thinkit looks like a bicolor blenny maybe?.

better detailed one but you cant see the full body

blurry but full body.
hes about 2 inches long since there is nothing for size refrence in the pics
posted this in a diff thread but i dont think anyone read past the first post =p

dawman

Originally Posted by b0bby1
thats not a bicolor blenny

Well according to three different pictures of bicolor blennies I have , it IS . The yellow on younger ones fade less and gets more as they age .

michaeltx

yep its a bicolor blenny
Species name: Ecsenius bicolor
Synonym: Ecsenius bicolor, Salarias bicolor, Salarias furcatus, Salarias melanosoma, Salarias burmanicus
Common Names: Bicolor blenny
Family: Blenniidae (Combtooth blennies)
Order: Perciformes (Perch-likes)
Class: Actinopterygii (Ray-finned Fishes)
Max. Size: 11.0 cm / 4.4 inches
Environment: Marine-reef
Origin: Western and Eastern Indian Ocean and Western Central, Eastern Central and Northwest Pacific
Temperament: Harmless
Company: It is not recommendable to keep Ecsenius bicolour (Bicolor blenny) with other specimens of the same species or large fishes.
Aquarium Setup: Ecsenius bicolour (Bicolor blenny) lives in temperate waters and will not survive a rapid move to a tropical aquarium. They are good jumpers so covering the aquarium is advisable. Bicolor blenny are found of digging and whould be provided witha a bottom consiting of mixed sized rubble and gravel. You should also place some rock and coral in the aquarium.
Food: Ecsenius bicolour (Bicolor blenny) feed on algae, plants and plants benthic. You have to give them pieces of food small enough to swallow without chewing.
HTH
Mike

dammar

cool, thanks for the replies and the info.
do you think he will be fine without the rubble to burrow into? my substrate is all LS with no rubble, there are some caves in my LR iv seen him wedged into though.

M

mopardwh

Sure looks like one.

renogaw

doesn't look like any of the bicolor's i've seen at the lfs, but if that's the general concensus...
swf's pic is accurate of what i normally see:

dammar

his fin is yellow towards the end, not very bright though.
that first pic doesn't show it. but the blurry one kinda does.

promisetbg

I agree..I have seen this one before, not very common. There was a girl here a year or so ago with one. We came up with the proper name. I would have to do some searching to find it.

promisetbg

Cool...odd blennies can be tough to ID, gobies too. There are so many! Good luck with him. It does say they can nip sps on one site I found. I just took a little blue & gold blenny out of my tank recently and my sps finally healed. He was ripping up the underside of them.

1journeyman

I have one of these as well. Sold to me as a Bicolor.
It's not. If you look closely at the dorsal fin and tail of a Bicolor and the original pic you'll see the difference.
Mines' fairly aggressive. He routinely attacks my Nass. snails.

puffer32

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Looks like a straight Black Blenny, aka High Fin Blenny
Heres a high fin blenny, you can't see it in the pic, but he has a white tail, not sure if they all do though, since this is the only one i have seen.