Id?

my way

Can anyone ID these Polyps? They are Hitchikers I've had for a few months. It started as just a brown mat with no visible polyps, about a month ago I notice the polyps coming up. They don't seem to be mutliplying but they are growing pretty quick About 3/8,s of an inch tall and the polyps are about 1/8" across at the top.The colony is about 1/2"x 3/4". They are all brown with a bit of blue fluorescence at the bases of the tentacles. the color is very accurate in the pic. Sorry about the quality of the pic, but in order to get it I took it holding a maginying glass in front of the lense.

dogstar

The single polyp on the left looks like a common button polyp, the others look like common zoo....can you post a close up ???

promisetbg

Does it have a skeleton that these "polyps" retract into? It almost looks like a type of goniopora. How many tentacles are around each "polyp"?

my way

No skeleton and it's hard to count the tentacles because they are so small and close together but it apears to be 10 or twelve on each.

my way

Promise, the more I look at it, it looks like it could be a Flowerpot and being it's so small there might not be a skeketon yet. I doubt if one would grow under PC's would it? I have (1) 96 actinic and (1) 96 10k. These polyps are about 8" from the lights, 6" of that is water.

promisetbg

Flowerpot{goniopora} has 24 tentacles, alveopora has 12. There are encrusting versions of both, that have a very flat skeleton. Can you make it retract and get a shot of it? Maybe lay it next to the glass so you can get close? Whatever you do, if you do touch it{if it is a flowerpot}...avoid touching the tissue, try to touch it at the bottom/base.

my way

I did'nt get a chance to get the pic, but upon examination with a flashlight it does appear to have a skeleton. It's hard to tell ,but it looks like there' a thin white edge along the perimeter of the base and although it's hard to see that's what it looks like to me.