If lion want eat frozen food

E

erionracer

If lionfish will not eat frozen food...what live food could you feed them? :thinking:

v-lioness

What Kind of Lion? How long have you had it? Do you know the last time this lion ate?
You can feed ghost shrimp, feed the ghost shrimp some thing nutritional (cyclopezee, pellets or flake) before feeding them to your lion...... See if the lion will hunt these.
Kaye

E

erionracer

(It's just a thought question) I have read that some people lionfish want eat frozen foods...so i was just wondering what live foods you could feed them, because I have always heard that live foods are not good for them but yet still they eat live things in the ocean :thinking:

v-lioness

Well live is good for them, in the wild they have their choice of foods. In tanks they would become very expensive to feed overtime (saltwater fish, crabs & shrimp). That is why we try to wean them over to frozen food.
A constant diet of freshwater fish would not be in their diet if they where in the wild. Overtime (8-9 months) feeding a constant diet of freshwater fish can cause health problems and will eventually kill the lion.
But feeding a constant diet of the same food will eventually kill the lion, this is where variety comes in along with vitamins. This does not just apply to lions, it applies to all saltwater fish.
Kaye

scsinet

Lioness is right.
DO NOT feed saltwater fish freshwater meals, live or otherwise. Doing so will eventually cause liver failure.
How often are you feeding? My guess is you are feeding every day or so. This won't work to get him off live food because he's not hungry enough to try frozen. Starve the tank for several days ... maybe 4 or 5. Fish in the wild don't eat daily, so no worries. At that point, I'll bet your lion takes frozen food. You may have to make it "look alive" at first. Use a large piece of something...maybe Krill. Hold it in your fingers and stick it into the tank, with your fingertips just below the surface of the water. Wiggle it around and get the lion's attention. He'll most likely take it right from your fingers. Lion's aren't shy by any stretch. If this idea makes you squeamish, then use stainless steel kitchen tongs.
Just don't stick your whole hand in.... he's not likely to sting you, but you could brush against the spines by accident this way. If he's taking food from you, his spines will be out of the way.

E

erionracer

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Lioness is right.
DO NOT feed saltwater fish freshwater meals, live or otherwise. Doing so will eventually cause liver failure.
How often are you feeding? My guess is you are feeding every day or so. This won't work to get him off live food because he's not hungry enough to try frozen. Starve the tank for several days ... maybe 4 or 5. Fish in the wild don't eat daily, so no worries. At that point, I'll bet your lion takes frozen food. You may have to make it "look alive" at first. Use a large piece of something...maybe Krill. Hold it in your fingers and stick it into the tank, with your fingertips just below the surface of the water. Wiggle it around and get the lion's attention. He'll most likely take it right from your fingers. Lion's aren't shy by any stretch. If this idea makes you squeamish, then use stainless steel kitchen tongs.
Just don't stick your whole hand in.... he's not likely to sting you, but you could brush against the spines by accident this way. If he's taking food from you, his spines will be out of the way.

(It's just a thought question) I have read that some people lionfish want eat frozen foods...so i was just wondering what live foods you could feed them, because I have always heard that live foods are not good for them but yet still they eat live things in the ocean

konrade

Feed them a couple of rosy reds, they love those. Then get some frozen krill and wiggle it around a little bit in front of them. It may take them a while to eat it and they will just stare at it sometimes, but eventually he will eat it. The krill is the same color as the reds, that's what catches his attention in the first place.