Ill looking nems, what's the cure

I've got 2 Haitian(sp) i believe, possibly pink tips? that I purchased at my lfs about 7 months ago. They've been looking strong and healthy for nearly 6 months. The past month though has been down hill. One climbed up the wall too close to the filter and go sucked up, saved him, but has been very small ever since. He's small but actually very healthy looking. the other one i am more concerned about. He hasn't had any near death experiences but looks like he's lookin' for a place to die. He is very small... both feet and arms. he is constantly moving around and just does not look healthy. also have 2 maroon clowns that haven't even noticed them and have no interest in nesting... LFS says i have insufficient light. How can I get their size back and what should I get that's nestable. Ill add pictures later tonight.
Thanks, Eric

Added some photos... not sure if i did it right. The first is the sick looking one close up. he's under a rock facing the sand.
Second is a zoomed out view to see his size that's also my larger clown fish. he's quite the bully
Third is a zoomed in one of the one that almost died. can barely see him on the top of the rock. thats one of my engineer gobys stickin out
Fourth is a zoomed out one of the same one. and another view of the goby and the smaller maroon clown. hes been beat up many times

meowzer

First I'd like to say welcome to swf.....now...can you tell us about your tank...size, age, filtration, lighting...water parameters..
If your lighting is insufficient, then they may be dieing.....anemones wander when they are not happy :(

cherylann

Your last post stated that your LFS informed that you did not have enough light, could you include what type of light that you do have. And yes that anemone does look ill, they are probably not getting enough food either through the zoanthelia, the alge that live within some corals, anemones, clams tissue that produces carbohydrates through photosynthesis which provided nurishment for the animals or they are not getting food through target feedings probably both. Now the larger Maroon clown is the female and the smaller is the male. Maroon clowns are more aggressive than other types of clowns. I would not attempt another anemone without researching both clowns and anemones. I have always been in awe of the clown fish and anemone relationship and wanted to replicate that in my own aquarium, but I had many years of experience before I attempted it and alot of research. Good luck.

cherylann

Its spelled Zooanthellae, sorry I have dyslexia and make many spelling errors which I never even see, oh well, just wanted you to be able to look it up.

Thanks for the welcome!
It's a 55 gallon tank, been up and running with saltwater since marchish? was running freshwater before then. Tank includes 1 Flounder 2 Engineer Goby's 2 Maroon Clowns 2 Anemones and a lonely snail. Filtration is just a dual waterfall 400 gallons per hour i believe, with protein skimmer. ( not sure on the gallons per hour). I suspect lighting is my problem here and has been on my upgrade list for quite some time and i see that its starting to effect the tank. box says 18" (t-8) 15w (x2). was at the LFS yesterday and was looking at a much better set up.
As for the clowns im not too worried about getting them to nest, it would be cool, but I can wait... Just hoping they cooperate with the next fish I add
Water Parameters are all perfect had them tested recently. Salt level fluctuated recently because I sprung a leak in my filter so lost a decent chunk of water.
I've also been told that I can actually go to a local grocery store and buy calamari and feed the anemones this. Is this heard of?
Thanks, Eric

meowzer

I feed my anemone frozen scallops...I Just defrost, and place a small piece on its tentacles.....and never see it again
I agree your lights are most likely the issue....You out to look into upgrading quick if you want to save the anemone's
Do you not have your own test kits????

Hmmm...
I'll probably got to the LFS today and seriously inquire about the lights.
I do not have my own test kits but my neighbor does, so if I need to test and the store isn't open I just use him.
Also, can the nems eat freshwater fish? I live on a lake and I can go catch perch all day long. can they eat the meat or even the egg sacs?
Thanks, Eric

spanko

Haitian Condylactis sp are not normal hosts to Maroon clownfish.
The most likely hosts for these clowns are:
Ritteri (Maroon) Anemone (Heteractis magnifica)
Bubble Anemone (Entacmacea quadricolor)
Long Tentacle Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis)
Your lighting is totally insufficient to keep an anemone. In you 55 gallon tank you should be looking at MH or high output T5 lighting.
Salt level fluctuated recently because I sprung a leak in my filter so lost a decent chunk of water.
Your salt level did not fluctuate based on losing water to a leak. If it is fluctuating it is most likely do to evaporation. Are you topping off the tank regularly?
When the tank was running freshwater did you ever have to medicate it with copper meds?

Yup, went to the LFS today, 48" t5 HO set up with new hoods and bulbs gunna run me around $200.
Thanks for the help everyone, Hopefully I can save my nems
Thanks, Eric