Ilyanassa Snails

stella

Does anyone have these? Are they good?
"Mainly burrowers, eat detritus. Unlike Nassarius snails they will also eat algae on the glass (usually unburrow soon after food is introduced)."
:notsure:

stella

Oh and I have a 30g soon to be softies tank, how many should I buy?
If they are good, I was also thinking of putting a DSB on the 125g's (aggressive) sump, would they help the DSB?

hagfish

Don't get these. They are cold water snails and won't likely survive long in reef temperatures. There are places on the net and on auction sites where you can find nassarius and other snails for as cheap as 30 cents a piece. Sometimes less. Just keep searching.

my way

Originally Posted by hagfish
Don't get these. They are cold water snails and won't likely survive long in reef temperatures. There are places on the net and on auction sites where you can find nassarius and other snails for as cheap as 30 cents a piece. Sometimes less. Just keep searching.

I have read conflicting articles about this. I have read exactly what you have posted and then I've read that many live in tide pools where temps reach over 90 degrees. I have them in my tank and they are doing fine. I'm finding tiny ones every now and then that I know for a fact were'nt in the package I bought.

hagfish

hi1369, send away. As for the conflicting articles I say why get them still because there are other snails that can do the job that have no risk of dying and can be found just as cheap, if not cheaper.

stella

Originally Posted by My Way
I have read conflicting articles about this. I have read exactly what you have posted and then I've read that many live in tide pools where temps reach over 90 degrees. I have them in my tank and they are doing fine. I'm finding tiny ones every now and then that I know for a fact were'nt in the package I bought.
what's the temp of your tank?? :thinking:

stella

anyone else?
I've found that these are cheaper than nassarius :notsure: (most of the times that's not good)
anyone else's experience with nassarius??

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by hagfish

You are so wrong. i have had these snails for a long time. They do very well in both my tanks and sumps. The guy on the big bay site sells wild cought from the waters in maryland, so you may want to watch out for his stock. they maybe conaminated. JMO

stella

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
You are so wrong. i have had these snails for a long time. They do very well in both my tanks and sumps. The guy on the big bay site sells wild cought from the waters in maryland, so you may want to watch out for his stock. they maybe conaminated. JMO
really? contaminated?? why?

hagfish

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
I have read many times that these are snails that prefer cold water. How long have yours been alive in your tanks?

sharkbait9

My tank stays around 78-80 degrees and they breed like wild fire when they sense their population is getting low. The more I diminish the population of snails, the more eggs I see on the glass and rocks and every where else they want to lay their eggs.
As to possibly being contaminated, being wild caught they are close to shore, and a lot of pollutant wash up along the shore line. These snails are inlet and shallow water snails.
I’m not and did not say they were contaminated, I said they could be.
These snails used to be sold, but since people say “ they are a cold water snail and they can not adapt to warm water“ I guess thats why thier not being sold. I don’t know. I bought these snails a while ago in Florida on a scuba trip at a store in west palm beach, the store was on the boarder of Jupiter, can not think of the name now.
When I bought these snails (going back geez 10-12 years ago now), I was talking to the owner and he said he would put these snails against any other snail on the market. To this day, I have not bought any other snail. In fact I had to get rid of a lot of them. I’m from the school of read about it, do it and learn it your self, not believing everything a store owner tells you. At least not in jersey anyway. and have not seen these snails for sale since. excpet for E-b*y. Who knows the snails they sell maybe great, clean snails. I don't know.
After a while, I had to many. My sumps and DT were nothing but snails crawling out looking for food.
I realized that all I had to do was put some foods under the sand to keep them happy and to stay in the tank. Stupid me for realizing it after my dogs were picking them up and rolling them all over my carpets. Certain foods it seems make them breed more and the seasons, even in my enclosed systems.
I just sent a member of the board pyro a bunch of snails to help take care of some algae problems he was having. I can and only will speak for my tanks, these snails have lived and thrived in my systems for a long time and have populated and produced snails for me with out one problem.
They clean everything sand, glass, rocks, skimmer box, intake. They are awesome snails but they do have a bad side if you can call it a bad side.
The bad side is that because they are such veracious eaters and scavengers, my bicolor blenny has nothing to eat now. I am forced to turn my mirror point the sun light into my tank to promote algae growth. Yes its not a good idea per say but at least I have natural growth/food and everything is happy and healthy and fat. The other is they are kind of like cockroaches, they will breed and breed and breed.
The only time I ever see and empty shell is when the hermits want to take a shell for no reason.