Important Nudi info

I was looking throught the U-Build it and was checking out the nudibranchs and looked at the Sea Goddess and noticed Diet: Unknown. So then I went to a PHD run website specializing in sea slugs. The diet of a Sea Goddess is not unknown. They only eat blue sponges and appearently require alot of it so unless you have easy access to sponges save yourself some grief and look at the lettuce which does eat algae.
On the same note I noticed that the info of the purple nudi says it eats algae. That is also incorrect as the purple nudi is a carnivore and also only eats sponges. Just thought I would let you guys know and maybe save some money.
Really amazing and beautiful critters but not ones meant for our aquariums.

There are certain things that should and should not be collected. These and cleaner wrasse are just a couple of them. Once again, a very important reason to research first because there are unscrupulous dealers out there that just want to sucker you out of your money.

ryebread

Interesting.
I am hoping that Plum70rt chimes in on this one because I think that he has kept several different types of Nudibranches for a while.
Hmmm......

jhead

I second that! I have never heard of Nudi's of any type lasting for more than a several months at best.

ophiura

A long, slow starvation for them all, IMO. A doomed animal, so terribly pretty that people must have them. I reckon that the more LR one would have, the longer they could be kept, similar to Linckia type stars. Many many many animals on the reef consume various sponges (and not nuisance types like "q tips) and really should not be kept. Some also eat other encrusting things, like bryozoans...but all in all, I believe the diet is quite specialized. I would also like to hear of them being kept for more than a few months, which would not be a success, IMO.

aileena

I am all for concious reef keeping, but isn't this conflicting with the commercial website who provides this message board? Aren't we in essence bitting the hand that feeds us?
Just for discussion?

moopiespoo

I am still on the fence deciding on two lettuce nudis that may NOT make it but I think I'd still like the challenge. As for the others sold on the site. I am happy this site has a variety. There are experts here on this mb and other consumers that can take on the more difficult species.

j-cal

I'm going 3 months on my lettuce nudi. has doubled in size. I see it eating hair algae nonstop. Theya re also not even really nudibranchs....
I dont know if it applies to the above nudis, but most nudis only live for several months in the wild anyway. I;ve read that several places, not sure of validity tho....

lopeyc

Right after I got my first reef tank, just a few weeks ago -- it's an established tank, husbanded by somebody else -- I went on saltwaterfish.com and was stunned by the beautiful invertebrates. On the U-Build-It site, I went nuts, putting together a $90 order with a crab, lobster, shrimp, starfish, purple nudibranch, etc. Then I realized I was being insane (about money) and that, in any case, my area has great fish stores so why order online? So I cancelled.
Later, though, I realized many of the things I was going to buy I was very uninformed about, and several of them would have been a) hard to keep alive or b) bad for my tank.
I am not in any way blaming SWF.com but it is true that the minimal information they have about each animal they sell is a bit misleading in its incompleteness.
How's the saying go? Something about a little knowledge being dangerous? :rolleyes:
Now, everytime I want to buy something for the tank, I take ten deep breaths and walk away...