Important question regarding pH

thud

My PH was 8.5 and is now 8.0. I'm worried about this, is this normal? My tank is 2 months old, there are fish in it.
Should I increase it very slowly or what?
I'm wondering if there's something I've missed.

michaeltx

has it slowly dropped or very quickly dropped. as a tank gets older the buffering ability will start to slowly disapear cause the PH to lower. the best combat to this is regualr water changes.
WHat test kits do you have. and can you do an alk and DKH test on the water.
these both have indirect effect on the PH if they are low.
Mike

geridoc

I don't think there is anything to worry about. Minor pH changes like that are usually meaningless, and may represent minor maintenance issues like a new fish, or some uneaten food under a rock somewhere, or even the time of day. If all seems to be going well in the tank, you are changing the water regularly and the pH wasn't determined at night or first thing in the morning, just keep an eye on the level in the unlikely event that it goes lower.

thud

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
I don't think there is anything to worry about. Minor pH changes like that are usually meaningless, and may represent minor maintenance issues like a new fish, or some uneaten food under a rock somewhere, or even the time of day. If all seems to be going well in the tank, you are changing the water regularly and the pH wasn't determined at night or first thing in the morning, just keep an eye on the level in the unlikely event that it goes lower.
It is happening slowly ( I keep record ) of my tests.
I'm going to do an alk and dkh and will post it in a few minutes.

ifirefight

:scared:
Originally Posted by thud
We're at 15 dH
If you are at 15dKh you got a problem... That would be5.30 mequ/l 270 ppm CaCO3 wayyy to high.

hatessushi

BTW, a .5 change in pH is a lot but as long as it's not more then .2 in a 24 hour period. Stability is the most important thing. If you can stay within .2 of a change in a day/night cycle then that is fairly stable. Ocean water run from 7.6 in the open sea to 8.4 in the reef areas. Most keep their pH at 8.2 to 8.4 but the average in the range is 7.8.
Your dKH is to high.

aztec reef

My PH was 8.5 and is now 8.0. I'm worried about this, is this normal? My tank is 2 months old, there are fish in it.
Should I increase it very slowly or what?
I'm wondering if there's something I've missed.

well when was the last time you did a water change? you haven't used any additives/buffers have you?
Try doing a Large water change..

thud

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
well when was the last time you did a water change? you haven't used any additives/buffers have you?
Try doing a Large water change..

I haven't added any chemicals to the water. I think the problem is with our tap water. Very Hard.

larryndana

I haven't added any chemicals to the water. I think the problem is with our tap water. Very Hard.
this may be the problem.
test your water before a water change and post what your parameters are here.