In sump skimmer selection - 60 gallon fish/reef

rtzx9r

I have tried searching and not really gotten any good definate answers.
I have a 1 year old 60 gallon reef/fish tank (mostly soft corals and some small reef safe fish, 80-100 lbs live rock, 20+ lbs live sand, and 4 110 watt VHO lights (2 actinic, 2 50/50). Tank is run at 77/78 on an Artica chiller (Florida weather requires) and things are pretty stable.
I would like to add a protein skimmer in my sump box, that is otherwise empty except for some filter floss media and my circulation pump. I have read several reviews and advice, and hope to obtain some info. I would like to keep it under $200, and ---- is just fine for the purchase to save a few $$ (new).
  • Coral life Super Skimmer 65
  • ASM / Octopus G1 or equiv.
    other??
Tank parameters:
Salinity = 1.024
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = <10
pH = 8.1 - 8.2
Phosphate = 0
Calcium = 250 (this is being addressed curently with additives due to bad LFS "testing")
Alkalinity = 16.0
Temp = 78/77 constant
Flow = 500gph turn over and 2 Aquaclear 802 units in tank for additional circulation
Any ideas or advice? Hoping to add this skimmer to the Santa list for the holidays.
Thanks!

gatorwpb

The ASM and Octopus are hands down better than the Coralife.
Go with one of them.
Im trying to think of others that are 200 or less and those seem to be the best.

cveverly

I would get the Reef Octopus Extreme 200 Protein Skimmer if you have the room otherwise look at the Extreme 160. MSX160 and MSX200 are the same skimmers as the Octopus line. Shop to see who has the better price. Right now MSX has the 160 for $269 and the 200 for $279.

stanlalee

If you go octopus try to go NW-150 $180 if you have the space. the NW-110 $150/DNW-110 $200 are pretty much maxed at the size tank you have (no cushion for overfeeding, relaxed maintenence ect). considering you dont have a skimmer now that might not even matter, just going by the imaginary rule book though your at the max size for those skimmers (ignore the manufacturer ratings. skimmer size and pump specs tell the real story. 4x20ish" bodies + 260gph [without air] average performing NW pump= suitable for 65g or smaller).Otherwise ASM G1X $225 (not regular G1), Euro Reef RS80 $250 (they nearly always have full functional blems/used for $150 in their "warehouse clearance" section online store which is $100 less than new), Vertex 80(euroreef RS80 clone $180), turboflotor 1000 multi $210 are all good choices that will easily do your size tank. Dont bother with the coralife.

cveverly

Stanlalee has some good suggestions. The two reasons I suggest the larger skimmers are better pumps and if you upgrade (and we all do) you will already have a skimmer that will handle a larger tank.
But then I believe if a little is good a lot must be just right.

rtzx9r

Thanks for the input on the skimmers. I will check out the suggestions and ensure the skimmer will fit in my sump and cabinet. These are not "loud" in any way, correct??
Also - what is the major difference between the needle wheel and the G1x series?
Thanks!!

stanlalee

Originally Posted by rtzx9r
http:///forum/post/2845697
Also - what is the major difference between the needle wheel and the G1x series?
Thanks!!
no difference the G1x just has an upgraded pump (sedra 3500, same as the Euroreef RS80) and slightly favorable dimensions over the G1 so if performs much better for a marginal price increase over the G1. otherwise all the skimmers function on the same principle. none of those skimmers are loud.

rtzx9r

One last question (again)...
Is the ASM mini G adequate? It is rated for 20-80 gallons and I have roughly 65-70 gallons in my tank/sump. It would be much more suited for my sump, unless I attached a drain hose to the G1/G1X collection cup.
Will I see a marked difference between the mini and G1/G1X?
Thx!!

stanlalee

Mini G is too small and has too many reliability issues with the pumps (known for overheating and seizing). Particularly the current model with the pump under the skimmer. The G1 will work but its less than $25 cheaper than the G1x so why bother. Honestly for less money than either you can get a huge Octopus NW-200 that will run circles around both of them or save some money and get the NW-150 ($80 less than a G1x) which is slightly larger than the G1x and performs simularly. They have a new pinwheel propeller for $40 that will make it work even better. I would get the euro-reef RS80 blem personally. Its better than the ASM and simular size octopus for $150 and its factory backed even if it aint in perfect new condition (if you've ever seen a skimmer after a few months trust me you wouldn't be able to tell a new one from a used/blem one anyway).

rtzx9r

Thanks for the replies and help. I ordered the Euro Reef RS80 from the blemish site, for $150.00. I ordered the 1st gen one as it has the Sedra 3500 pump, whereas the gn 2 had what appears to be a cheaper pump (GX2400).
I will be looking forward to getting it into my system in the next few weeks once it comes.

pallan

hey let me know how you turn out i just ordered a Blem from their site today and just kinda freaked out hoping i made the right call :)

bennyblanco

HI! This is my first post!
I have about the same set up. I just added a sump (24" x 12" x 13") to my 50 gallon reef tank. (Moving up to a 65 gallon reef ready tank in a few weeks) I'm running an octopus nw 200s in sump skimmer in there. Does that seem like overkill? It's been running for about 10 days and just starting to break in and produce foam.
Thanks!
Benny Blanco

mboswell1982

like the man says, if a little is good, a lot must be better LOL so yes, your skimmer is fine, a lot of folks will tell you to get a skimmer thats rated for more than double your tank size

rtzx9r

Got my "blem" Euro Reef RS80 and it is up and running well. Pulling some nasty junk- only complaint is it does make a bit of noise from the pump, but not too bad.
One of the suction cup holders was broken on the pump (sedra), but not an issue to me.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by rtzx9r
http:///forum/post/2874231
Got my "blem" Euro Reef RS80 and it is up and running well. Pulling some nasty junk- only complaint is it does make a bit of noise from the pump, but not too bad.
One of the suction cup holders was broken on the pump (sedra), but not an issue to me.
find/make a muffler on the air intake will quiet it down alot. you can use the ones that come on octopus or coralife skimmers although they may be hard to source seperately. some people make them using a small piece of PVC pipe with end caps and drilling two holes (one for the intake tubing from the skimmer and one for the actual silencer intake).

mr_x

is it the airline or the pump vibrating? you could try a piece of rubber, like a mouse pad under the pump in the sump to quiet it also.

rtzx9r

Thanks- it was the pump. I moved the pump around and it is much better now.
I will look into the mesh mod- I know it is only a few dollars.