In-tank refugium.

kellenr

Does anyone have any experience with in-tank refugiums and ideas on how to make one. Would it be noticeably beneficial to have an in-tank refugium?
I have seen several and am considering making one for my 30gallon tank. I can't have an external sump/refugium on it for multiple reasons, I don't want a HOB one either because of where my tank is at. I'd like some examples from others. Thanks everyone.

mr_x

i guess it would work, but it would be in your view. plus, the macroalgae would try to escape, growing through the cracks, that you would need to let the flow through.

kellenr

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2678595
i guess it would work, but it would be in your view. plus, the macroalgae would try to escape, growing through the cracks, that you would need to let the flow through.
Yeah I know about the flow-through, never thought about the macro growing out though. I don't know how I'd be able to get in there and 'prune' it either without releasing everything I'm culturing.
I guess I may be able to make a under-tank refugium in a 10gal tank but I can't drill my glass QT or the glass 10gal fuge. I could rig pvc with 'elbow' and 'U' fittings and have a small powerhead w/ a hose attached pump the water from the Fuge up to the DT. I don't have an overflow box in my DT though so I'd have to have a PVC pipe an inch or so below the water line with a siphon going to get the water back down to the fuge. I'd probably have both of the pvc pipes (intake and return) mounted ontop of either side of the DT just an inch or two below the waterline, because in case of a power outage or something the DT would drain into the Fuge and flood.
Anyone know of any other ways to get the water from the DT to the fuge 'safely'?

nordy

I had one of the CPR in tank fuges and it worked pretty well-the fuge itself had plenty of holes drilled on each side and it came with a small powerhead that could be plugged into anyone of the holes, depending on where you had room. Came with suction cups and is easy to place. As Mr X said, it would be in your view pretty much whereever you placed it, but when I had mine running, the chaeto inside it grew like crazy and I didn't have problem with it getting out through the holes. I had mine in my 55gal and eventually took it out, not because it didn't work, but because I have a number of hang on things I couldn't place it on the back wall of the tank so it had to go right out in front.
Suggest searching CPR In Tank Refugium-if you are interested in buying mine, PM me and I can give you a really really good price.

sangria

I currently have one (the CPR) in my 35 gallon hex and it is really great for breeding pods. I also used it for my clarkii clowns when their water quality took a nose dive. One still died, but the other was able to make a recovery because the in-tank refugium was a stress-free, high quality environment.

kellenr

I'm actually thinking about doing a sump/refugium now, lol. I think there's a way I can rig some plumbing to spout/suck from from over the top of the tank. Thanks for all the ideas, I'll definitely use a combo of all of them if I do the in-tank one. I'm still planning out the sump right now, we'll see how it goes.

mr_x

research HOb overflows. i've had good luck with the CPR overflows with the aqualifter pump.