Is cc and crushed shells the same thing?

cyn

I have been reading alot and I am a little confused. I set up my tank before I found this board and my substrate is a mix of little broken shells and I belive coral mixed with sand. Looking at the stuff up close, it looks like it is primarily shells. Do I need to get rid of the stuff?? I have lots of worms that I can see when I look in the bottom of the tank and the little bubbles work up thru the stuff nicely. My parameters are all great. What gives? What is the best arguement for changing to only sand? Please advise.

lerch

I have found myself in the same predicament as you since I am slo beginning my tank. Everyone I have talked to has told me that live sand is the best way to go since it provides a great breeding ground for your benefical bacteria. Also there are several fish and inverts that you can buy that will clean your live sand for you. I do not know how you would go sorting out the sand from your crushed coral and shells but you might try sifting it threw a fishnet. I have a friend who told me when I was first getting into this hobby that he had a hell of a time with his crushe coral because he could not find a way to keep it clean. I have a 55 gal tank with 20 pounds of live sand and I was told by several people that that was enough, my friend had a 100 gal tank with 40 pounds of live sand and he thinks that is enough. From everything that I have read as ling as you are not wanting to house some kind of burrowing fish or invert 20 pounds would be enough for a 55 gal. I don't know much but hopefully we can help each other through this troubling time of establishing our tanks. :p :p

cyn

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the more I read, the more stumped I get! If I am not mistaken, the substrate should create an anerobic zone. It appears to me that mine has. I am seriously thinking about changing it out though, if only because of the information here. That poses another delimia. Suitable sand here is outrageous! No go on th SD issue etiher :(. I am afraid to add anything new to the tank untill I get this worked out now too. I guess I am stuck for the time being.

predator

Live sand or at least agronite is the way to go.But 20 pounds ina 55 sounds pretty light to me.I personally run a dsb(deep sand bed) and have been told that 1 pound per gallon is a good place to start.I'v got a 75 with a 150 pounds of ls.

kris walker

Hi Cyn,
I do not have a DSB, but the following is based upon what I have read here.
"Crushed shells" typically means to me chunks of broken up shells (calcium carbonate). The chunks are much larger than what people usually get in "crushed coral", which is crushed coral skeleton (also calcium carbonate).
Sand is much finer than crushed coral (0.1-2 mm diameter). Because it is finer, it creates anerobic conditions better than crushed coral (less pore space and permeability = less circulation potential = less O2). Crushed coral could do the same for you, but you would need a lot of it (i.e. a much deeper bed than the that required with sand).
Nitrate reduction is great with a DSB. They are typically at least 4 in deep for sand. If you want to know how much sand to get for a certain depth, use this equation
tank length * tank width * desired DSB thickness * 0.06 = lbs of sand needed
IMO, if you have a mixture of sand and crushed shells in roughly equal proportions, I would leave it alone. If you have mostly shells, and just a little sand, I would add more sand. IMO, the idea is to fill up the gaps between the shells with the sand, thus creating anerobic conditions for nitrate processing.
You say you have bubbles forming already. This as you know is good, and means your system is working. Congrats.
SOrry it is long,
sam

cyn

Sam,
Thanks so much for reading between the lines! You seem to be the only one that caught the part about the shells and that I am getting some anerobe activity. I trust all the advice I have gotten here and will probally slowly change it to straight sand. I like the aproach of changing 1/3 at a time, giving the bacteria time to move. The only drawback is the wait. I will keep you all posted on the progress.
Thanks again! Cyn

vkesu

We have a full reef that has had cc for 4 years. We never had trouble with it, but always vacumned it a bit when we did the 125# live rock (probably why it was never a problem). We changed over to a bit of agronite this year and my ca levels have stayed up much better! I just liked the shell and cc look and my lr did the job for me.