Is it possible to save this tank?

billy2k1

I have a 150 gallons acrylic aquarium and the top reinforcement of it has two sections that came loose from the other piece of acrylic or back wall.My question is, can i just put some acrylic welding compound to re-weld it again?

al mc

You should be able to save it with the Weldon product line for Acrylic. I would use Weldon #3 (very watery..penetrates the surfaces to form a bond)
Use clamps, position where you want it and apply the Weldon #3. Let dry..sets up quick..30-60 seconds. Then I would apply their thicker product..
Weldon 16 to the inside of the joint surface..thick...as you would apply caulk
to seal a window or tub/tile. Let dry overnight. Good to go!

billy2k1

sounds like a good plan, i have weldon # 3 i still have to find # 16.Thanks a lot.These are very good news,i wasn't sure because this is my first time dealing with acrylic.

acrylic51

You might want to do a people search on here and look for Acrylic not me....he's the "god" and he would give you the best approach out there on that matter.....personally I would remove the brace if possible and replace it.

acrylic51

If you use WeldOn 3 or 4 then go back over top of your original weld with WeldOn 16 your actually weakening the original joint with the 16.......You could possibly use some type of reinforcing square or triangular stock glued to both the back panel and top eurobracing to bring the tank back to structural soundness......But honestly if it were me I'd check the entire top panel and if questionable I'd cut it off and totally replace the top panel.

acrylics

Originally Posted by acrylic51
You could possibly use some type of reinforcing square or triangular stock glued to both the back panel and top eurobracing to bring the tank back to structural soundness......But honestly if it were me I'd check the entire top panel and if questionable I'd cut it off and totally replace the top panel.
Most likely the joint on the back was never *real* good to start (colors can be harder to glue) so I'd go the gusset route. Get a piece of 1/2" triangle or square bar and glue that in. If solvent will go into the joint during this process - it will but you'll get the reinforcement of the gusset either way. One would prefer you get the square bar made for you as the stock extruded square bar isn't really square nor does it have flat sides. Take a piece of 1/2" *good* acrylic and machine one edge on it, then cut that piece to size and glue it in as a gusset.
WO16 being a solution made mostly of solvent, will evaporate out leaving very little actual acrylic to be a filler of any sort. Works for smallish stuff but I wouldn't recommend it for a display tank. If you wanted something to act like this, use Weld-on 40 which is an actual acrylic resin.
HTH,
James

billy2k1

Thanks for all your help guys.I like the idea about the triangles welded to the back and top.Once again thanks for your help and your time...