Is My UV Sterilizer Working???

cglover226

I have a 18W Coralife UV sterilizer that i got for $100 as an open box (used for a month on a display tank in lfs)... i have it hooked up to a small powerhead in my sump and returning the water to the sump.. how do i know if it is working there is no light that light up that it is on etc......

john,jr

Originally Posted by cglover226
http:///forum/post/2879706
I have a 18W Coralife UV sterilizer that i got for $100 as an open box (used for a month on a display tank in lfs)... i have it hooked up to a small powerhead in my sump and returning the water to the sump.. how do i know if it is working there is no light that light up that it is on etc......
I think the intake and outlet hose will light up with a green tent if they are clear plastic hose. At least that is what mine does.

blueknight

At the end of the UV there is clear plastic, put your hand next to it. If there is light on your hand then it’s working.

cglover226

thanks... it's working... i have brown algae on my sand and some green spots (not that much-more towards the bottom of the glass) will that eventually go away now with the use of ro/di water and uv sterilizer or should i try to remove it and just hope it doesn't come back?

snakeblitz33

btw, UV sterilizers are also great to get rid of hair algae after a lot of manual labor.
Have fun! I'm considering a UV Sterilizer for my 240 :D

cglover226

hopefully tomorrow i can get to it and scrape the algae off the glass pumps etc. what would i go about the brown algae on the sand though? try and scoop it out and put new sand?

snakeblitz33

the brown algae is diatoms, or at least should be. They should go away as long as you don't have excesss silicate in the water.
You should have a clean up crew by now, Right?

cglover226

i've got hermits snails and 2 cleaner shrimps running all over my tank! i cleaned all of the stuff off the glass and overflow box... i mixed around the sand (not sure if tat was smart) now i'll see how this uv works.... your saying the brown algae will just go away? how long does that usually take?

sepulatian

Diatoms are completely natural. Inverts rarely eat them. Some will but most won't. Diatoms wipe off. The shrimp do not clean anything but a few ich cysts off of the fish's body. They don't eat diatoms.

cglover226

i hate to sound annoying but how long do the diatoms usually stick around for before going away? my tank looks prestine except for the dam brown spots... i would like to finally add some fish but i'm still holding off.. its been about a month since i changed over to the ro/di water and all the parameters are in check