Is this enough light?

ninjamini

Would this be enough light for a 65 gallon reef? I mean if its the only light. Since its 20k its bluer than the 10k and I would not use and actinics.
Coralife Aqualight Advanced Hang On Tank Mount Fixture
Sleek, streamlined hang-on tank HQI metal halide fixture. Features a 150 watt 20,000K double ended HQI metal halide lamp. You can position the light in 3 different ways. Includes a heavy duty mounting bracket, external ballast with on/off switch, cooling fan, highly polished reflector, glass lens cover, 12 foot lamp cord, 6 foot power cord and a ventilation grill. The double ended lamp provides the highest light per watt available. Full spectrum, cool blue white light penetrates deep into the aquarium. Brings out the vibrant colors and gives the perfect kind of lighting for all corals and other marine life. 10.5" long.

birdy

What are the dimensions of your tank and what type of corals are you hoping to keep?
If your tank is 36" long or less and less than 24" tall then you can use one MH over the tank, generally the recommendation is one MH for every 2 feet, but if you put lower light corals on the outer edges of the tank then you can put one on a 36" long tank, if it is longer than 36" then you would need two MH.

travis89

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Would this be enough light for a 65 gallon reef? I mean if its the only light. Since its 20k its bluer than the 10k and I would not use and actinics.
Coralife Aqualight Advanced Hang On Tank Mount Fixture
Sleek, streamlined hang-on tank HQI metal halide fixture. Features a 150 watt 20,000K double ended HQI metal halide lamp. You can position the light in 3 different ways. Includes a heavy duty mounting bracket, external ballast with on/off switch, cooling fan, highly polished reflector, glass lens cover, 12 foot lamp cord, 6 foot power cord and a ventilation grill. The double ended lamp provides the highest light per watt available. Full spectrum, cool blue white light penetrates deep into the aquarium. Brings out the vibrant colors and gives the perfect kind of lighting for all corals and other marine life. 10.5" long.
How much is that? I might want one.

ninjamini

I guess I should have been more specific about the tank. Its: 36" Wide x 18" Deep x 24" High. The other choice I was looking at was: Which is:
One 150 watt 10,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp and Two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue square-pin compact fluorescent lamps.
But its a difference between $240 and $430. The difference being:
10K vs 20K
2 actincs vs none
moon light vs none.
and of course $200.

sagxman

The above looks nice. Keep in mind, you can always swap out a 20K for the 10K that comes with it. Also check out the Current Sunpod fixtures. I have one and think it's very good.

stanlalee

For between $200 and $400 you can do a 250watt pendant. I would use a 14K bulb if I was only going to use one bulb. $200 range is of the famous auction site variety. $250-$350 is of the on sale variety and $350-400 you shouldn't have any problems finding a 250watt MH pendant. All you really need to do is put up a walmart shelf above the tank and hang it from that.

zanoshanox

If i were you i would definetly get one with two mh bulbs so that it lights up the whole tank not just the middle. I but a single 150 w 10k on my 20 gl long (30 in) and the light didnt spread well.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
If i were you i would definetly get one with two mh bulbs so that it lights up the whole tank not just the middle. I but a single 150 w 10k on my 20 gl long (30 in) and the light didnt spread well.
There is not a 2 bulb option in the 36" lights.