is this the dreaded aiptasia?

thingfishdave

I am a beginner and bought an established 55 gallon tank. These are all over
and move from time to time. I am worried about them overtaking my other corrals. any ideas?

pthoma79

I would guess majanos, but IME, they are bigger towards the tips, tapering to thinner towards the mouth.
Doesn't look like aiptaisa to me.
But I am far from the expert, I've just had to kill several majanos and aiptasia in my tank.

those are manjos... i have literally hundreds of them in my 75 ... you have to kalk burn them before they spread... i would start mixing the kalk paste ..... 5 minutes ago if you get my drift.
I am going to have to take all the rock out of the 75 and let it all dry out to get rid of it all... dont let this happen to you its horrible

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Sir Mixxalot
http:///forum/post/3060450
those are manjos... i have literally hundreds of them in my 75 ... you have to kalk burn them before they spread... i would start mixing the kalk paste ..... 5 minutes ago if you get my drift.
I am going to have to take all the rock out of the 75 and let it all dry out to get rid of it all... dont let this happen to you its horrible

Aiptasia is much the same, though the fingers are pointier at the tips.
Like you, Sir, I have just set up again after my aiptasia took over. One wrong purchase and my tank was ruined.
Thingfish, I know there are controlling products on the market for these hitch-hikers, but with a population that sounds like yours, I don't know if that is feasable. I am sorry someone sold you that.
The aptasia did kill my corals; I didn't have many, but did have some nice select ones.

fishkid13

The kind you have is a pest like Aiptasia but Aiptasia is more stingy and thiner then your kind. I have know people that keep that kind because it looks good but they have it in a tank just for themselves.

thingfishdave

I ordered some joe's juice, going to give it a try. They dont seem to be killing any of my other corrals as of yet. Just taking over the rocks so far. I will let everybody know how it goes!