Jebo 180 skimmer keeps overflowing

hagfish

I've had this skimmer for about 8 months now. It has typically been inconsistent at best. But about 2 months ago I did a mod to it where you add a cut up bioball to the pump and since then it's actually worked pretty well and no problems with surprise overflowing. But now all of the sudden it is overflowing frequently. I have to leave the air open all the way to even have a chance of it not overflowing. Nothing has changed so I don't know what's wrong. Any ideas?
One thing I was wondering about, when I took the pump apart, the clip that holds the cover in place broke off leaving only one clip to hold the cover down. It stays down pretty well, but I was wondering if that might cause some extra water to get in and possibly cause my overflowing problem. The thing is, it's been like that for a couple months now with no problems until the last week or two.

birdguy

I've goy a jebo skimmer that works pretty good .... but I've had a couple of overflows too. I found that the hole that the airline feeds to the venturi on the pump was plugging up, which restricyed air flow. Last night I took off the venturi and enlarged the small hole with a drill bit, it seems to work fine, and I actually had to restrict the air flow a bit to get the proper water flow. Hope this helps.

hagfish

Sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely try that. Now hopefully it doesn't overflow again in the next 8 hours while I'm at work.

steelgluer

Originally Posted by hagfish
I've had this skimmer for about 8 months now. It has typically been inconsistent at best. But about 2 months ago I did a mod to it where you add a cut up bioball to the pump and since then it's actually worked pretty well and no problems with surprise overflowing. But now all of the sudden it is overflowing frequently. I have to leave the air open all the way to even have a chance of it not overflowing. Nothing has changed so I don't know what's wrong. Any ideas?
One thing I was wondering about, when I took the pump apart, the clip that holds the cover in place broke off leaving only one clip to hold the cover down. It stays down pretty well, but I was wondering if that might cause some extra water to get in and possibly cause my overflowing problem. The thing is, it's been like that for a couple months now with no problems until the last week or two.
Are you adding any supps to your tank like reef complete stuff like that if you are turn skimmer off for awhile then when you turn it back on it will go nuts you might need to add a small hose and a big collection bucket.

hagfish

No, not adding anything. I drilled the air intake hole out a little bigger and that fixed it. I could see it was clogged up once I opened it too.
Thanks for the help

:happyfish

sin

I have a jebo 180 skimmer. I have had this skimmer for about 7-8 months now and it overflowed once about 2-3 months ago. I just took it out and took all the parts off and cleaned it real good then put it back together it has been working great since