Just because i'm curious

chuckcac

Has anyone ever gone to the beach...lets say Jones Beach, NY... scooped up a 100# of sand, and used that in an aquarium? :thinking:
Not that i would...
But i thought it would make an interesting thread...

garnet13aj

The sand in my area is nasty and probably contaminated. I wouldn't chance it. But I'd like to hear if anyone else has.

ophiura

Originally Posted by chuckcac
Has anyone ever gone to the beach...lets say Jones Beach, NY... scooped up a 100# of sand, and used that in an aquarium? :thinking:
Not that i would...
But i thought it would make an interesting thread...

It has been done, but I personally prefer carbonate sand to silicious. The sand there, apart from obvious impurities from human activities in the area, is basically weathered granite. While pure silica sand is fine to use (minus the buffering benefits of carbonate) there are impurities in the silicious sand from weathered granites - iron, various other minerals - that are not quite as desirable, personally. It can certainly be done, but I prefer the look of white sand, and the benefits of carbonate.

chuckcac

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Search for posts by Chipmaker. He gets his sand from GoM.
I wouldn't do it, but other's have.
Thanks journeyman... turns out chipmaker does alot of DIY... i really enjoyed reading his experiments with cycling too!
*sniker* he peed in his tank *hee hee*

durgeonman

I really wouldn’t trust the sand from Jones beach, long beach or any of the beaches on the island. The water here is really nasty and I assume the sand would be too. Plus it could have stuff in it that fish in tropical areas around used to.