Just got a electric sharkray. Anyone got any info?

seanothon

My LFS just got in a Diplobatis ommata (bullseye sharkray) and it turns out it was pregnant! So, the mom had 8 babies and I just had to get one. How often are you gonna come across that?
So, they were eating brine and mysis in the store. I have not seen mine eat in the tank yet, but I have only had it a couple days (it is just 12 days old today). It is currently in my 55gl show sump with a orange-spotted filefish and a few hermits.
Anyone have any experience with these or anything similar? Any advise on care would be much appreciated.

seanothon

it is in the 55gl sump but the main tank is 120gl. The mother, which I assume is full grown since it is popping out babies, was about 10"

seanothon

I'm sure i will, but not for a while. It's only a couple of inches now. Any advice on its specific care?

kylev

Very cool fish, post some pics for us to see, and sorry I dont know anything about them

meowzer

Is that all the sand you have? You need A LOT more for that guy.....they spend most of their time burying in the sand...
Needs much more room too....I'd plan on moving it sooner then later....just cause it is a baby doens't mean it will be ok in that small area
get the sand though ASAP

btldreef

Cool fish. It will be fine in the sump for a little while, this area will serve well as a grow out tank, especially right now with it only being 12 days old.
I agree that you need much more sand, and that you won't be able to keep in down there for long, they grow quickly.
Keep offering it brine and mysis shrimp. You can try feeder shrimp, but most people don't have luck getting them to eat that. Once they eat brine and mysis and get a little larger, try very small pieces of clams, squid or other mollusks.