Kalkwasser

I am planning on using Kalkwasser for my reef. I will be using a hosital IV system as the drip system. The question I have, how long should I drip for, how freqently, and at what rate should the drips be.
Thanks,

option720

from what i have heard.. i could be completly wrong here. you want to it to be a constant drip that would drip your desired amount in 24 hours...i hope that helps

nm reef

I've seen and heard of many types of set-up and rates for kalk drips........for a long time I ask questions and read info from others on what they do........here is what I've done and to date its worked well for me
First I used seachem reef advantage and seachem reef builder to elevate my calcium and alkalinity to the levels I wanted to maintain(400-450 ppm calcium...3.5-4.0 meg/l alkilinity)....also insured that ph was stable around 8.2-8.3
After these levels were stable I then began to drip kalwasser each night after lights out.......I mix 1/2 gal early in the evening (1/2 gal ro/di water with 1 tea spoon kalk)....this sits a few hours before starting drip........I use a plastic container with a IV tube and adjust the rate to approximately 1 drip per second......for me this has worked extremely well.....I also dose the seachem products on a regular basis(alternate days with 1 gal ro/di and 1 tablespoon additive) this is dripped during the day and add the kalk at night.....this system has allowed me to consistently maintain the desired levels for 3 months plus now....very little fluctuation..............

I use kalkwasser in my auto topp systemSo I get a dose of kalwasser when ever my water level drops this also ensures that my ph is constant

slash7

I use a LiterMeter to dose kalkwasser 24/7 and replace all my evaporated water with it. As you can see, there are many different methods people use, all work well but it MUST be added slowly. Depending on how much kalkwasser you add, you may still need liquid calcium supplements from time to time to keep your calcium levels up. Kalkwasser helps relieve the downward pressure on your alk too, but again you may need to add buffer occasionally.
[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: slash7 ]