KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

KAT74...Awesome! Just B e a u t i f u l...!!!

I need to first apologize for violating forum rules w/ my last post to you! My bad!
!!!
I posted a message to PHILS29BCINWA, suggesting that he should look at your pix!
A few questions:
What 'flavor' Live Rock did you select for your tank? I just love the overall look!
(But, ladies are always better at decorating than us guys, right!
)
Had any problems with 'nasties': bristle worms, parasitic isopods or worms?
When you photograph your tank, do you use just the tanks' lights? What digital camera?
Thanks

K

kat74

Originally Posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
KAT74...Awesome! Just B e a u t i f u l...!!!

I need to first apologize for violating forum rules w/ my last post to you! My bad!
!!!
I posted a message to PHILS29BCINWA, suggesting that he should look at your pix!
A few questions:
What 'flavor' Live Rock did you select for your tank? I just love the overall look!
(But, ladies are always better at decorating than us guys, right!
)
Had any problems with 'nasties': bristle worms, parasitic isopods or worms?
When you photograph your tank, do you use just the tanks' lights? What digital camera?
Thanks

Thanks for the compliments, once again!

As for the LR, I believe it is tonga because that's what they had at the time I got my tank. (The LFS delivered it to me with the LR after they allowed me to trade in my 14 gallon Biocube)
and yes, I will always say that the ladies know how to "decorate" a nano tank! But you know what? Now that I've said that, some of you guys know how to "decorate" it too!
I am constantly changing my tank around and my co-workers laugh at me when I say that I am "happy" with the way things look, and then the next day come in with something different after I've traded off something else!

I haven't had any problems with any "nasties" so far *knock on wood*, except for a break out of diatoms. Hoping to keep it that way!

I have an Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom camera. It takes great pictures at concerts, but I am not so good with the "macro" setting just yet to take better pics of my tank inhabitants. When I take photos of my tank, I turn the flash off and just use the tank lights, and it helps when I turn the room lights off.

Here's hoping...'knock-on-wood' you never have ANY nasties!!!

Thought your photos looked like they were lighted by the tanks lights! Anyway, they are excellent!
I noticed you have your tank on a table, correct? How high is that table and the overall height of the combo?
I'm thinking of putting my tank on a very heavy, square oak coffee table that is 18 1/4 inches tall. The aquariums total height would be 38 inches, not including the hood. I am also considering adding a 12 inch pedestal to bring the height to 50 inches to improve the height for viewing. Any thoughts?
Thanks as always!

K

kat74

I'm thinking of putting my tank on a very heavy, square oak coffee table that is 18 1/4 inches tall. The aquariums total height would be 38 inches, not including the hood. I am also considering adding a 12 inch pedestal to bring the height to 50 inches to improve the height for viewing. Any thoughts? Thanks as always!
That sounds like a GREAT idea!~ You will definately have to take pics and post them when you get started!
I have my tank at work, on a long credenza. It's pretty heavy duty stuff!~

detguy313

all i can say is wow..that is one very nice tank...love the rics alot..i am really into zoas now i never was before when i started in this hobby was mostly into sps and lps..you have done a very nice job with that tank and the yellow fin looks really good...you got a really nice one with lots of pink and red in him i hope you enjoy him and get to see him displaying

Once Again KAT74, Thank You for all your help, advice and support!

My goal is too make you proud of my established tank a in few months! Even though it's not a 'Oceanic BioCube 29'!

I picked up my Red Sea MAX this afternoon from my LFS. What a chore to move that heavy box into my house, although I am soooo happy
to get the 'new' tank and starter kit for $530!
So, you are in favor of elevating my tank by 12 inches?
I am very appreciative of everyones advice on this board from their personal experiences, especially yours! My hope is to avoid some of the 'Newbie' mistakes from everyones collective knowledge and experiences.

K

kat74

Once Again KAT74, Thank You for all your help, advice and support!

My goal is too make you proud of my established tank a in few months! Even though it's not a 'Oceanic BioCube 29'!

I picked up my Red Sea MAX this afternoon from my LFS. What a chore to move that heavy box into my house, although I am soooo happy
to get the 'new' tank and starter kit for $530!
So, you are in favor of elevating my tank by 12 inches?
I am very appreciative of everyones advice on this board from their personal experiences, especially yours! My hope is to avoid some of the 'Newbie' mistakes from everyones collective knowledge and experiences.

Your tank will look just as good, if not better, even IF it is a Red Sea MAX! Make yourself a thread here and post progress pics, questions, suggestions, etc... I'm looking forward to it!~

I'm not sure how it will look elevated by 12 inches... I'm more of a visual person and would be able to tell how I like if if I saw it, so I'm not sure if I am much help regarding that aspect.
Post your question here and see what others think.
And again, you are welcome!~ I have learned SO much from everyone here on the boards. There are MANY people here who will be more than happy to help you out! Can't wait to see your pics when you get started!~

K

kat74

Originally Posted by phils29bcinwa
Your tank looks great, do you have any other upgrades besides the koralia powerheads. Do you run a skimmer?
I am still using everything "stock" and the only mods I did was aff the two Koralia 1 powerheads to the display.
I'm not running a skimmer right now, but am aware of one that was made for the 29 Biocube. I'll see how I do without one before getting one!

Originally Posted by KAT74
I am still using everything "stock" and the only mods I did was aff the two Koralia 1 powerheads to the display.
I'm not running a skimmer right now, but am aware of one that was made for the 29 Biocube. I'll see how I do without one before getting one!

KAT74,
I'm reading all the lit from my newly acquired Red Sea MAX before I begin carefully setting it up and on page 15 they have in bold type: "Proper skimmer functioning should be among your CHIEF REEF CARE CONCERNS."
So I hope you strongly consider adding one to your tank! They have integrated one in there design, yet another reason I chose there product...

K

kat74

KAT74,
I'm reading all the lit from my newly acquired Red Sea MAX before I begin carefully setting it up and on page 15 they have in bold type: "Proper skimmer functioning should be among your CHIEF REEF CARE CONCERNS."
So I hope you strongly consider adding one to your tank! They have integrated one in there design, yet another reason I chose there product...

I know, I know.... lots of reason to go with the Red Sea MAX versus the 29 Biocube.

And I know that my tank will greatly benefit from one, just don't have one yet. There is a guy who maintains our 225 gallon tank in the lobby and if I do decide to get one (which I probably will) I will have him install it for me since I am kinda clueless to stuff like that!

K

kat74

Originally Posted by Mach03InFront
what type of lighting do you have?
I am using the stock lighting.

Originally Posted by KAT74
I know, I know.... lots of reason to go with the Red Sea MAX versus the 29 Biocube.

And I know that my tank will greatly benefit from one, just don't have one yet. There is a guy who maintains our 225 gallon tank in the lobby and if I do decide to get one (which I probably will) I will have him install it for me since I am kinda clueless to stuff like that!

Yo Kat74,
I didn't intend to lecture
or scold you! We are all learning and fumbling our way through this COMPLICATED endeavour!
I have had 'some' experience with the benefits of 'running' a protein skimmer in the past, and they are very highly recommended for maintaining water quality in our Nanos!
Wishing you ONLY total success! W/O any heart breaking set backs!!!
Much Love...

K

kat74

Yo Kat74,
I didn't intend to lecture
or scold you! We are all learning and fumbling our way through this COMPLICATED endeavour!
I have had 'some' experience with the benefits of 'running' a protein skimmer in the past, and they are very highly recommended for maintaining water quality in our Nanos!
Wishing you ONLY total success! W/O any heart breaking set backs!!!
Much Love...

No need to apologize; we're all having fun here learning from each other, and if we didn't want constructive criticism or advice from others, we wouldn't be making our progress public, right? ;) I've enjoyed your responses, compliments and advice!

I *am* looking into getting the new Oceanic Nano Protein Skimmer. It's made for my tank, so why not, right?

Much love right back at ya!~

Thanks for understanding what my true intentions were!
Believe me... I will need your friendship and advice over the next few weeks! I so appreciate your support and encouragement! Very happy to hear that you are going to add a protein skimmer to support the water quality of your beautiful system!!!
Best of Luck and Regards

P.S. attached is a photo of the 36" square heavy oak coffee table I want to put my tank on (if the 'boss' of the house approves: aka, my 'best' half!) I am looking to build a very sturdy pedestal (12" high) to raise the tank to 50"... same as Red Sea's tank and stand.

K

kat74

Thanks for understanding what my true intentions were!
Believe me... I will need your friendship and advice over the next few weeks! I so appreciate your support and encouragement! Very happy to hear that you are going to add a protein skimmer to support the water quality of your beautiful system!!!
Best of Luck and Regards

P.S. attached is a photo of the 36" square heavy oak coffee table I want to put my tank on (if the 'boss' of the house approves: aka, my 'best' half!) I am looking to build a very sturdy pedestal (12" high) to raise the tank to 50"... same as Red Sea's tank and stand.
You remembered that I am a "visual" person and thus attached a pic of what you were telling me about! Smart!
I like the coffee table, but I'm gonna have to see another visual of what the pedestal would look like to raise the tank... so the pedestal would just sit on top of the table and then the tank on top of the pedestal?

K

kat74

Arrrghh!!!!

I'm gonna have to get rid of my fairy wrasse. Not get "rid" of him, but remove him and ASAP! I witnessed him nipping at my bicolor blenny yesterday and today when I got to work, I noticed all of these awful looking nip marks along the side of my blenny. It broke my heart!!
My blenny is my BABY! And the fairy wrasse isn't even trying to hide the fact that it was him that did this. He's still harrassing my blenny! My blenny is acting fine, doesn't seem phased one bit that one side of him is bruised/blistered. I'm sure that he will be fine and will heal, but I've GOT to get that wrasse out of there! I tried for 45 minutes to net him, enticing him with food, but he's too quick and smart. He knows he's in trouble. I don't know how I'm gonna get him out. The "enticing-with-food and net him" trick isn't working. At all.
I put a call in to the company that maintains the 225 gallon tank in our lobby and told them that when they come tomorrow afternoon to maintenance the tank out there, they need to stop by my office and try to remove the wrasse. I don't know what they will be able to do, short of having to remove everything out of my tank and getting him out that way.

I'm stressed. It's such a stunning fish, but if it's that aggressive towards my baby, he's gotta go!~ My blenny doesn't even act like he's afraid of him either; he continues to swim out and do his thing and when the wrasse approaches him and displays, he's stay still. Then the crazy wrasse nips at him!

I will post pics of my blenny when I get home this evening so that you can see what this wrasse has done.

blazin2k6

Awesome setup. I love how you have all those zoanthids. I have become fascinated recently with the zoanthids as well. I just purchased a Duncan yesterday. Those are always quickly becoming my fave coral. Very awesome. Your entire tank looks so beautiful though. How do you keep the sand looking so clean ?